Need help with a 1400 gaming computer.

ciabyr

Case PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-3930K (3.2GHz) 12MB Cache

Motherboard ASUS® P9X79 PRO: INTEL® SOCKET LG2011

Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)

Graphics Card 1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 570 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

Memory - 1st Hard Disk 750GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD7502AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

or instead of the fast processor:

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7-2700k Quad Core (3.50GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics

Motherboard ASUS® P8Z77-V: PCI-E 3.0 READY, WIFI, SLI, CROSSFIREX

Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)

Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

Memory - 1st Hard Disk 750GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD7502AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

I intend on keeping the computer for at least 4 years and will get a second graphics card in maybe two or 3 years depending on when I need a new one. It will be used mostly for gaming but i only keep 5-6 games on my computer at once, so I don't think I'll need much memory. Any advice would be appreciated. Budget is around 1400 but I could go up slightly.

I'd prefer to buy a new graphics card in the future rather than a new processor which is why I choose the 6 core. What do you think? Will I ever need it for gaming? and am I under estimating the need for more memory?

Thanks,

Fear

Prolific Poster
When you go for a gaming rig the GPU is where you will be better placing your money especially on new games as they mainly use the GPU and spread the work over 2-3 cores of a CPU no matter if you have a 4 core 6core or even an 8 core CPU so i would look more at going for the 2nd build with a GTX680 and either the i7 2700K you selected or you can get the i7 2600 and save a bit of money as you won't see much if any difference playing games and don't forget the CPU's have multi-threading so the 4 thread quad cores effectively become like an 8 core system as they are 4 physical threads and 4 vitual threads but that again is not something that benefits gamers as only a few games i know of make use of this FSX and F1 2010 and F1 2011, if you want the rest of your build looking over then post a full spec and when you are looking at spending £1400+ on a gaming system don't overlook a better case as the T900 is a good enough case but you can get a bigger case with better airflow on your budget i would look at the Haf 922 as a minimum.