Need Help

Durand1981

Bronze Level Poster
Anything that induces an all core load for a continuous level of time is going to push those temperatures. In order to hit the hights that they have for all core workload the power usage goes through the roof. Modern day motherboards automatically "boost" the power levels to allow this to happen. Most overclocking is pre-defined nowadays, it's not called overclocking as they don't want people manually overclocking so it's forbidden with warranty fine print. It's called boosting.

There is no way to keep the chip temps in check without undervolting/underclocking/sticking on the biggest cooler you can and crossing your fingers. There is a lottery with the standard of the chip you get. Some chips will boost easier, without the same level of power that others require.

Intel have pre-defined these limits to ensure that most chips will outlive their warranty life (3 years I believe). It's a very limited warranty and quite wooley with regards to boosting levels etc. They do tend to honour the warranty, but they are covered under a lot of fine print should they choose not to (Much like the ASUS farce recently put to bed).

The predefined limit on a 13900k is 253w. This can blow straight past 300w as long as the temps are inside the pre-defined 95°C limit. When 95°C is hit, there is thermal throttling that brings the wattage down, brings the clocks/performance down in line and it holds nice and steady until your task is complete. I may be a bit off with my numbers here, this is off the top of my head, but this is the mechanism for how it works.

Intel needs these levels of power in order to hit the performance claims. This is detrimental to the longevity of the chip, but as long as they see past the 3 year warranty line, it's all good for sales and marketing. It's just the consumer that wonders why their chip performance has tanked after 500 95°C thermal cycles as it can no longer push the same clocks due to the silicone degrading. That's if they don't get an all out failure with temps spiking due to the warping giving a poor contact on the cooler of course.

Thankfully, you can buy a bracket to support the IHS and give a better contact with the cooler to prevent warping. Unfortunately, the last I checked this invalidated your warranty.

Intel is in the dog house with prosumers and non-backhanded reviewer/media/blogger outlets etc.

Nvidia are right there along with them. They're making excellent products but their pricing and tier management is abysmal.
This I have been follwoing a lot on youtube specifically with the 40 series cards issue hence i went AMD on that and cost also.
And yes I figured tbf with the bracket that much makes perfect sense, pretty much like i was saying previously when i asked about surely if it was that bad is it not a fault ??
Though I got what you were saying and ofcourse intel cant admit its an issue.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Just to even things out a little. It's not all sunshine and rainbows with AMD either. Their current GPU offerings are just about as insanely priced as Nvidia. They're just keeping an even market with Nvidia which means that consumers get ripped off regardless of which route they go down. Their drivers aren't the best for fault finding and if you're looking to do any sort of VR in the future it has to be NVidia as the performance tanks in SteamVR. I had to plum for a 4080, which I will never stop moaning about, due to the AMD offerings being far less performant with VR.

The best selection with AMD right now is the 6950XT, it's value to performance is the best there is..... and it's still expensive, so not to be considered a bargain.... just the best value by comparison.

Then there's the voltage issues that the 7000 series had. This hasn't been as bad as it could have been, some media made it sound like the world was ending, but it certainly wasn't ideal. Certain vendors handled themselves amicably, some silently and some down right idiotically (looking at you ASUS). This is, hopefully, being rounded off over the coming weeks but it's the reason the configurators are limited to 5600Mhz RAM with AM5 builds. This isn't ideal as 6000Mhz was the defined sweet spot by AMD for performance. There are, of course, ways around all this but it's manual and you need to know what you're doing.... something that PCS can't operate under, and rightly so.

All my opinion of course. I don't want any brands taking me to court.

Durand1981

Bronze Level Poster
Just to even things out a little. It's not all sunshine and rainbows with AMD either. Their current GPU offerings are just about as insanely priced as Nvidia. They're just keeping an even market with Nvidia which means that consumers get ripped off regardless of which route they go down. Their drivers aren't the best for fault finding and if you're looking to do any sort of VR in the future it has to be NVidia as the performance tanks in SteamVR. I had to plum for a 4080, which I will never stop moaning about, due to the AMD offerings being far less performant with VR.

The best selection with AMD right now is the 6950XT, it's value to performance is the best there is..... and it's still expensive, so not to be considered a bargain.... just the best value by comparison.

Then there's the voltage issues that the 7000 series had. This hasn't been as bad as it could have been, some media made it sound like the world was ending, but it certainly wasn't ideal. Certain vendors handled themselves amicably, some silently and some down right idiotically (looking at you ASUS). This is, hopefully, being rounded off over the coming weeks but it's the reason the configurators are limited to 5600Mhz RAM with AM5 builds. This isn't ideal as 6000Mhz was the defined sweet spot by AMD for performance. There are, of course, ways around all this but it's manual and you need to know what you're doing.... something that PCS can't operate under, and rightly so.

All my opinion of course. I don't want any brands taking me to court.
Yeah, NO court is not a good look and nobody needs that headache tbh lol.
Also Just been on the phone to the tech side of things to ask and enquire about the changes for the CPU waiting on an email now.
Not going to lie had my self set on the i9 I liked the idea of the performance a lot but its no good if its gonna break on me 100% or possiblys wont help my hard saved cash to afford this.