Networking Issue

luksta

Afternoon boys and girls.

Having a slight problem since I got my new pc with another laptop in the house that keeps dropping it's wireless signal.

The laptop always connected via a wireless router fine before I got my pc. However since I connected to tinternet with my pc it keeps losing it's connection. I don't even use the wireless router to connect to the internet because I use an ethernet cable.

The laptop is pretty old, (about £300 3yrs ago) but it seems a little bit of a coincidence it won't work now my pc is connect.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

liamnic2

Super Star
Your laptop and PC might be fighting over connection. I would turn the wireless off on the laptop when you go on your pc. Chech your ethernet cable, router etc...

What broadband do you have?

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
If they are constantly dissconnecting then it may be that your router is assigning them the same IP address, I have had this happen once before on a D-Link router I had. If your running windows, start -> run then type ipconfig look for ip address which will be something along these lines 192.168.0.2, if you are running linux open the terminal and type ifconfig and look for the same style address. Do this on both your pc and laptop and check if the same address is being used.

If they are using the same address then you need to login to your router, normally located at 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.0, this can be done by typing the ip address into your internet browser. Once connected login, old routers probably still use admin password as the standard login credentials, newer ones normally have the information stuck to the bottom of the router on a label. Once logged in you need to set the static ip addresses. Look up on the instructions for your specific router but the basic principle is in the ipconfig output you will see whats called a mac address which will be of the following form A8:B6:33:87:DD:45 or something similar in structure. You then tell the router to assign that mac address a particular ip address. Make sure that static addresses for both pc and laptop are set differently.

Hopefully that should work :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'd try reinstalling the drivers for your wireless adapter on your pc.

Also you could log into your wireless settings on the router.

What connection does the wireless get on the pc? ie how strong is the signal?

Tom

luksta

The wireless signal on my pc is full and didn't have any problems the couple days i used it, I'm using ethernet for my pc now. The signal on my ipod is fine too, It's just the laptop that's freaking out.

PokerFace

Banned
The wireless signal on my pc is full and didn't have any problems the couple days i used it, I'm using ethernet for my pc now. The signal on my ipod is fine too, It's just the laptop that's freaking out.

So is the lappy connection fine when you don't have pc connected to router?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
if all this fails, you can check inside to see if there is a wireless card then you could replace it, just a thought, and i assume they are probably quite cheap

luksta

Yes the laptop connection is fine when my pc isn't on using the ethernet.

Would it be worth smashing the laptop with a big hammer?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
yes, yes it is ;) keep the hard drive then get a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter and put it in your PC

thats the only thing i can think of that may be any use

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
have you tried checking the ip addresses on both like I suggested earlier? this seems like a deffinate possibility to me.

PokerFace

Banned
Yes the laptop connection is fine when my pc isn't on using the ethernet.

Would it be worth smashing the laptop with a big hammer?

I would smash the pc, as the laptop works fine when the pc isn't connected. Alternatively, try Frenchy's suggestion first.

Gibbs

Gold Level Poster
Frenchy's suggestion is what I'd try first if you haven't yet.

Next, try updating the firmware on your wifi router and/or whatever is serving DHCP. This may sound a desperate measure but I've had it twice now where updating the firmware on routers clears these kind of wi-fi related quirks.