New 570?

shocksalot

Bronze Level Poster
http://www.eteknix.com/news/evga-releases-2-5gb-gtx-570-1344/

this is for the 2.5GB GTX 570, i dont think its available in the UK yet but will you be offering it if it becomes available? This is the perfect option for me as i think that 1.25GB is not enough

1.25 is plenty, the VRAM purely caters for res, thus unless you want to use multiple big screens 1.25 is fine (but tbh if your planning on having multiple big screens you should consider crossfire/sli).

=)

Rakk

The Awesome
Crossfire/SLI still only uses 1 of the memory sections, 2x1.25GB 570s does not equal 2.5GB it only uses 1 of the sections
True, but 1.25GB is still plenty for most things.
My 1GB card happily copes with my dual-monitor setup (1920x1080 and 1680x1050)

JSG10

Expert
I think you missed the point of Crossfire/SLI there Wozza. It'll ease up the stress on 1 card and will out perform higher single cards.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Or technology will develop to need less GPU Mem :) We just dont know

This is very good statement. As us programmers find new ways of optimising rendering engines (especially in games) the level of graphics card needed goes down. Obviously with the increase in graphics in games it also goes up, but just because the graphics are doubly as good as the graphics 5 years ago doesnt mean the card has to be doubly as powerful.

Obviously workstation graphics is a bit different although still new ways of rendering are discovered. The whole point though with gaming is we want to optimise as much without losing quality, therefore power needed to produce the same graphics over time reduces. :)

MrRaich

Silver Level Poster
I went with the EVGA GTX 570 SuperClocked. I saw the 570 2.5GB and was impressed, but it's at stock specs (723MHz instead of 797MHz ect.) and 1280MB is enough for nearly all games as of now. GDDR5 is blisteringly fast!

AND stop saying 1.25GB, Because if were rounding to a flat(ter) number, it should rounded to 1.3GB.

shocksalot

Bronze Level Poster
just did a performance scan on my 570; on a 24" montior @ 1920x1080, 20'000'000:1 contrast, hdmi, playing CoD MW2 on ultra, "Memory used: 122MB"
So anything over 1gb is fine tbh.

DaxInside

Silver Level Poster
you gents recon gtx570 SLI 1.3Gb versions is enough memory for a 3 monitor set up? ALl running 1920x1080?

Thats what ive ordered but its not finished yet so could still make changes if need be. I don't want to pay for the 580 but the extra RAM might be handy in a bigger 570.

DaxInside

Silver Level Poster
not sure I agree that a 2nd gpu makes no difference when using 3 monitors. The GPU power alone gets a massive fps boost in games. And its not possible to have 3 monitors on a single Nvidia GPU.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
'ang on, dont you NEED 2 GPU for 3 monitors? Like, mechanically you cant plug 3 into 1? Or am i making stuff up? :D

Rakk

The Awesome
NVidia cards will only power two monitors each, they have more than two slots so you have a choice, so you'd need SLI'd Nvidia cards to use 3 monitors :
you gents recon gtx570 SLI 1.3Gb versions is enough memory for a 3 monitor set up?
which I assumed was asking if 2 570's SLI'd would be fine, though possibly I misread it.

AMD Eyefinity 3,4+ can power the amount of monitors it says, so Eyefinity 3 can do 3, Eyefinity 4 can do 4 etc.

DaxInside

Silver Level Poster
I was talking about if the 2 570's would be powerful enough to run 3 HD monitors at high fps.

Sorry for turning this thread into a confused mess :p

shocksalot

Bronze Level Poster
I was talking about if the 2 570's would be powerful enough to run 3 HD monitors at high fps.

Sorry for turning this thread into a confused mess :p

yes they will be fine, im currently on x1 HD screen with that GPU, and it uses less than 20% VRAM playing games on ultra and terms on proc power the SLI connection will give that extra boost needed for the additonal screens to run at high fps.

DaxInside

Silver Level Poster
bit of a random question but is it possible to allocate some none-GPU RAM to be used by the GPU?

I have 8Gb in my system and I know it won't all be used.

shocksalot

Bronze Level Poster
bit of a random question but is it possible to allocate some none-GPU RAM to be used by the GPU?

I have 8Gb in my system and I know it won't all be used.

im not 100% sure how it works, but on my Nvidia system info tab it quotes: Dedicated memory: 1280MB / Shared Memory: 2815MB / Total avalible graphics memory: 4095MB

so im guessing it can use your systems resources if needed based on a percentage of your total RAM