New CAD/ANSYS/Gaming PC

danmis

Hello there. I am contemplating the following build for last few days. It would be basically used for CAD and ANSYS work apart from the gaming. Would like to hear about your opinion about it.

Case COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-3930K (3.2GHz) 12MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® SABERTOOTH X79: SOCKET 2011, R.O.G
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready Wish to replace it with the new AMD 7XXX series in January
2nd Graphics Card NONE
3rd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 1TB SATA-II 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm) Want OCZ Agility 3 60GB instead of this.
2nd Hard Disk NONE
RAID NONE
SSD CACHE DRIVE NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 10x LG BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£65)
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply CORSAIR 850W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX850 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£99)
Processor Cooling INTEL SOCKET LGA2011 STANDARD CPU COOLER
Fan Controller NONE
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Modem NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
Floppy Disk Drive NONE
Firewire & Video Editing NONE
TV Card NONE
Operating System NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Monitor NONE
2nd Monitor NONE
DVI-D & HDMI Monitor Cables NONE
Eyefinity / GeForce 3D Vision NONE
Keyboard & Mouse NONE
Mouse NONE
Speakers NONE
Webcam NONE
Headsets (VOIP) NONE
Surge Protection NONE
Cable Tidy NONE
Printer NONE
External Hard Drive NONE
Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Home Installation NONE
Data Recovery NONE
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days
Pricing Information
Price (excluding VAT) £1,155.00
Price £1,386.00

I have already made arrangements for the monitor, keyboard and mouse, so they are not in here. What I am wondering about is the GTX560Ti. I mean in an ideal scenario, I would like to send it back to PCS, and request them to sell me two of the new Radeon 7970 with reasonable discount :D

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
you wont be able to send it back and you wont get a discount on the cards, PCS cant do anything with second hand stock and as its not broken, they cannot request a new one, why dont you get a cheap card like a GT430 which is very cheap but will see you through games at medium settings as well

the OCZ SSDs are pretty crappy from what ive heard and are prone to failure

also gonna need a much better case for two 7970s or whatever you want HAF-X or something

and probably a 1050w PSU for the both of them

Last edited:

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
How important is gaming to you?

The reason I ask is because if CAD is what the computer is for and you not bothered about being able to play games then I wouldnt bother with the AMD or NVIDIA gaming cards. Id be getting a quadro. My gaming PC has 2 GTX 580's and gets brilliant framerates for gaming, its also pretty good at 3D modelling, CAD work etc. My work PC has two Quadro 6000's, these take graphics cards to another level, they make my GTX 580's look like kids toys when it comes to rendering stuff. Even a single lower down quadro will far out perform the GTX 5XX or 7XXX series of cards.

The problem with that though is that workstation cards liek the quadro will get totally rubbish framerates while gaming. Example, GTX 580's SLI 170 fps on max settings single screen F1 2010. Same game, same settings on Quadro 6000's and I think I remember it peaking at 14 fps lol (yes that wasnt a typo) lol.

danmis

Gaming and ANSYS would be my primary use for this computer with few 3D modelling applications. So yes gaming is very important. Apart from that, Firepro and Quadro cards are obscenely expensive! Very cost prohibitive choice for me. Wozza's advice makes sense though, maybe I should just get a cheap graphic card for the time being and upgrade later when 7XXX comes out.