New HDD

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
I'm getting a new HDD and I've been reading that it may not come with the required cables.
I have CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE and from what I can see I can just click the new HDD into one of the extra slots on the power cable coming from the current HDD to the PSU if that makes sense?
So then its just a case of getting a SATA cable to connect to the mobo?

Of course I may be completely wrong haha.

Any help is much appreciated.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Yes,just connect one of the spare power connectors from PSU to the HDD,and you will need to buy a sata cable if one isn't supplied.

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Another quick question.

Is installing a new HDD as simple as I am thinking?
Do I simply need to put it in the cage, connect the sata and power cables and turn the pc on and there it is?
Or will I need to play around with settings?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Another quick question.

Is installing a new HDD as simple as I am thinking?
Do I simply need to put it in the cage, connect the sata and power cables and turn the pc on and there it is?
Or will I need to play around with settings?
It should be as simple as that yes,plug and play really,windows should recognise the HDD on startup.
If you have any problems post back.

Last edited:

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
So just got my new HDD for Christmas :)

I have plugged it in but it hasn't shown up under my computer.
It has however shown up in the computer management - disk management bit.
It says it is 'Not initialised' and when I click to initialise it it says: to choose from MBR or GPT.

Which one do I pick? And is this the right way of going about it?

Have a feeling I might be waiting a day or two for a reply haha. not a problem

Thanks as always guys

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Not to worry guys, I did a little more research and took a punt (not the best idea I know!) at GPT and followed the instructions from then on and it seems to have worked!

Now transferring a load of data :)