New here, got some laptop questions.

skakruk

Hello everyone, new here. I have few questions about Optimus and enigma laptops (not sure which one i'll be getting)

I've been using 15" laptops for a while now and am wondering if a 17" would by more enjoyable to play and see movies on.

(this was originally a solid wall of text but I ended up mentioning so many points that i was forced to add numerics)

1. Optimus seems to have a superior motherboard ?(might be wrong).
2.The graphic cards in both are somewhat similar in performance.
3.The site doesnt display quad i7 choices for optimus - why?
4. If i were to upgrade somewhere in the future would I be able to take the cores and graphics cards easily enough? (has anyone taken theirs apart yet?;]). What I mean is would it be enough to unscrew the bottom plate, fan and heatsink to remove the core? Is it easy to replace the graphics card?
5. Will The optimus onboard video chip limit my future video update options?
6. are both chassis entirely plastic or is that metal i see on the pictures? :)
7. would performing things I described above (replacing certain components) kill the varanty?

Gief advice ^^

misterdave

Enthusiast
Skakruk welcome.

Of the 2 chssis in the category I would go with the Optimus, better motherboard & nVidia in my eyes are superior. The chassis will be limited to i7-600s chips through the motherboard chipset. BIOS updates may change this but don't count on it. As both laptop utilise an onboard GPU you would not be able to upgrade these. Without checking first (as I'm not at work right now) I believe that both are plastic with metal inside where it counts.

replacing components in a laptop might viod the warranty but I'd have to check this.

I've no checked up on the info about replacing laptop components: This applies to PC's and Laptops.

7.14. Will I void my warranty if I open the case and install my own components?

Unlike with most computer manufacturers, we allow you to open your case and install your own components without voiding your warranty providing that:
You understand that if the actions of the person installing the components cause damage to the computer, your warranty will be void.
You understand that if the components you install cause problems with your computer, your warranty will be void.
You understand that we will in no way support you installing your own components or with any problems you have relating to the components you have installed.
You understand that we have over 30 different measures in place to detect if a component has been moved/removed and if you have moved/removed a component, your warranty will be void. You are only entitled to add extra components to your computer.

Basically, if you add a component to your computer and all goes well, you will still have a warranty. In any other circumstance, your warranty will be void.

If you are unclear about anything, or wish to discuss any possible loop-holes, you understand and accept that you must email us and have written confirmation from us before you make any changes to your computer configuration. Otherwise you are welcome to add components to your computer.

Last edited:

skakruk

Thanks for locating the warranty quote for me. One more question... I'm not really a fan of nvidia( bad history), are their laptop cards reliable?

misterdave

Enthusiast
Yes very. We've had fewer problems with the nVidia cards, but we haven't had many problems with the ATI ones either.

Sleinous

Author Level
Not to mention physx and CUDA tech for nvidia :D

btw, very few laptops have upgradable gpus. This is done through MXM, which not many manufacturers adopted (in comparison to the grand total of laptops on the market of course).

Last edited:

skakruk

Right.. Thanks for clearing that out. One last thing... what so special about components with "special" next to them? Is that a holiday discount or something?

Sleinous

Author Level
Nah just slightly better bang for buck. temporary bulk-buy discount issued by the manufacturer that PCS are passing on.