New PC for photo, video etc

Velour

Hi,

Just ordered this machine:

Case Choose Your Own Case
Case Model: Silverstone Fortress FT02
Overclocked CPU OverClocked Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-930 (2.8GHz @ max 3.8GHz)
Motherboard ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory (RAM) 6GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, INTEL X.M.P (3 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card 1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5450 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
3rd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 80GB Intel® X25-M 2.5" SSD (34nm / upto 250MB/sR | 70MB/sW)***SPECIAL***
2nd Hard Disk 640GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD6402AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
RAID (HDD 1 & 2) NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE
Memory Card Reader NONE
Power Supply & Case Cooling 600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£59)
Processor Cooling TITAN FENRIR EXTREME DIRECT TOUCH COPPER CPU COOLER (£39)
Thermal Paste STANDARD OVERCLOCK THERMAL PASTE
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

Mainly used for photo editing with CS3 (maybe CS5 shortly), bit of video editing, some online gaming and general PC use.

Power supply is swapped out for a Seasonic X650 that I had lying about. Going for quiet but sufficiently powerful here.

Any opinions would be great, especially on whether the GPU is sufficient?

Cheers

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums :)

In general you've put together a great specification there, but I do feel your GPU is the weakest link. You could quite easily downgrade the PSU to 450W and upgrade the graphics card to some extent, perhaps a HD5750 or HD5770? This will be of benefit to you.

Velour

Thanks for the quick reply.
Just been reading through some other posts and thinking of going to the 1GB GTX460 instead. Good move?

SteveB

Gold Level Poster
Hi Velour

Let me know how you get on with the spec you have chosen as I am about to purchase cs5 and have been struggling to decide what spec laptop to get so I can get the best performance out of the software, I'm also unsure whether or not to go for a base station rather than a laptop, although with a laptop I can use a monitor aswell so I have dual screen which I hear is awsome and helps alot when using photoshop.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The 1GB GTX460 is a good move, it's a very popular card for both gaming and editing :)

LDUK

Master Poster
Thanks for the quick reply.
Just been reading through some other posts and thinking of going to the 1GB GTX460 instead. Good move?

Defo go for the GTX 460. Nvidia is the way to go with video editing and the like, all thanks to CUDA technology.

Meds

Agreed with the above in terms of the GPU - the GTX460 is brilliant. One other point would be to order the Arctic Cooling MX3 Thermal Compound with the overclocked CPU - its been proven to reduce the operating temperatures of your CPU by upto 10 degrees when underload - well worth £9.00 imo.

Gorman

Author Level
bad news im afraid, the guys have just built everything into your case:

velour.JPG

It would appear the case you sent us is faulty, everythings pointing the wrong way, the GPU is venting out of the top! Our apologies for this, we will get it sent back as soon as possible so you can have it fixed.

Velour

Hi Gorman,

I think it might all be OK - the M/B in that case is supposed to be rotated by 90 degrees so that all the cables exit out of the top rather than the back to help with cooling.

I'll call in tomorrow to check.

Velour

D'oh! First instinct was to accuse you of trolling - should have listened to it...

It's looking good - nice job. Can't wait to get it and have a play.

Velour

p.s. Sorry to make you take it apart to put in the new CPU - did try to get that through before the build started.
I have specced a different cooler too (the quiet cooler 22db one), but if it's easier to keep the Fenrir then that's fine with me.

Velour

Not long now - been in build for almost a week waiting on my HDD and the 950s. Seems that they're all in stock now so bring it on.

Be quite disappointed when the build has finished really as it will stop me reading the forums and making changes to the order (thanks everyone on the phones and web chat for not sounding really annoyed with yet another change!). Must be about the best customer service out there.