New pc issue

Ganggang

Bronze Level Poster
Sorry if this comes across as unpleasant, but what type of upgrade do you think you can pull off on a dead platform with a 550W power supply?
I believe she wants to upgrade both the PSU and CPU cooler after January. The other parts will be kept the same, to my knowledge anyways. Why, is that an issue?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I understand. However, the PC wasn't used for anything, no software was downloaded to it apart from Geforce Experience, and the only other thing that was done was the windows updates. The issues were basically happening from as soon as the PC was switched on. Thank you for your response.
But the PC wasn’t set up as you ordered without windows so it wouldn’t be expected it would work without a clean install firstly.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I believe she wants to upgrade both the PSU and CPU cooler after January. The other parts will be kept the same, to my knowledge anyways. Why, is that an issue?
It’s not a good way of going about it, replacing the PSU will require a full system rebuild, so it’s kind of pointless ordering from a system integrator if you know how to build a pc anyway.

But several components would need replacing just to get it to a point where it could sustain upgraded parts, would take quite a significant investment whereas if it had been specced properly at the time could have been done for only a fraction more.

Always get advice if you don’t understand hardware.

Ekans2011

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Well, as far as I can tell, that system has basically no room for upgrades without changing the main components as well.

In any case, how old is that PC? Just asking :)

Ganggang

Bronze Level Poster
It’s not a good way of going about it, replacing the PSU will require a full system rebuild, so it’s kind of pointless ordering from a system integrator if you know how to build a pc anyway.

But several components would need replacing just to get it to a point where it could sustain upgraded parts, would take quite a significant investment whereas if it had been specced properly at the time could have been done for only a fraction more.

Always get advice if you don’t understand hardware.
I know how to build PCS, I just prefer not touching any PC that isn't my own. It's for the likes of Minecraft and so on. Nothing too crazy. She doesn't plan on upgrading the GPU/CPU at all. She just wanted a better cooler and PSU in time to come.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I know how to build PCS, I just prefer not touching any PC that isn't my own. It's for the likes of Minecraft and so on. Nothing too crazy. She doesn't plan on upgrading the GPU/CPU at all. She just wanted a better cooler and PSU in time to come.
If you know how to build PCs then you know the gpu will be the first upgrade required on any pc. Minecraft is constantly updating, even if she were only to play that game, in a couple of years the engine will have been upgraded again (as it has been a few times already) and a 3060 won’t be able to run it effectively.

It’s also assuming she’s never going to want a higher resolution on the 7 - 10 year lifespan of a well designed pc.

It’s also not accounting for any future games which will require stronger gpu.

Again, that cooler isn’t suitable for the processor, if it’s used even for a couple of months you’re likely to damage the cpu / motherboard. It shouldn’t have been configured in the first place.

And the cpu was a strange choice as it performs less than a 13700k but costs more, so again, doesn’t really make any sense

Ganggang

Bronze Level Poster
If you know how to build PCs then you know the gpu will be the first upgrade required on any pc. Minecraft is constantly updating, even if she were only to play that game, in a couple of years the engine will have been upgraded again (as it has been a few times already) and a 3060 won’t be able to run it effectively.

It’s also assuming she’s never going to want a higher resolution on the 7 - 10 year lifespan of a well designed pc.

It’s also not accounting for any future games which will require stronger gpu.

Again, that cooler isn’t suitable for the processor, if it’s used even for a couple of months you’re likely to damage the cpu / motherboard. It shouldn’t have been configured in the first place.

And the cpu was a strange choice as it performs less than a 13700k but costs more, so again, doesn’t really make any sense
I believe she is opting to send PCS the PC for any upgrades, not sure but while we're here, what cooler would you recommend to be used on the build she has? And also, do PCS still upgrade parts for customers? Never done it myself and I've always upgraded my own parts, but if they don't I'm going to have to do it for her which would be less than ideal for me personally but hey what can you do.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I believe she is opting to send PCS the PC for any upgrades, not sure but while we're here, what cooler would you recommend to be used on the build she has? And also, do PCS still upgrade parts for customers? Never done it myself and I've always upgraded my own parts, but if they don't I'm going to have to do it for her which would be less than ideal for me personally but hey what can you do.
To be honest, with the issues you’re facing and not being willing to troubleshoot at a hardware level, it’s going to need to be returned anyway.

It’s pointless upgrading the platform because it’s going to cost hundreds more than just having for the right components at the outset.

Just request to cancel the order and get something suitable.

Ganggang

Bronze Level Poster
To be honest, with the issues you’re facing and not being willing to troubleshoot at a hardware level, it’s going to need to be returned anyway.

It’s pointless upgrading the platform because it’s going to cost hundreds more than just having for the right components at the outset.

Just request to cancel the order and get something suitable.
Request to the cancel the order for the PC itself or the parts?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Don't think that is possible. Yesterday was the day the 14 day cancelation thing ran out. It was a Christmas gift so wasn't opened until the 25th unfortunately.
I'd still put in a request, given it's been Christmas holidays they may well accommodate you as they've been closed.

Ganggang

Bronze Level Poster
I'd still put in a request, given it's been Christmas holidays they may well accommodate you as they've been closed.
Okay, I will do that, thank you. I appreciate all of the help and information you've given me. I would've contacted them first thing, but of course nobody would be expected to be opened on Christmas! Is there a notes option in the refund section where we can let them know it wasn't opened until Christmas Day and given there was no way to contact them on the 25th or 26th we were wondering if it'd be possible for a refund? Sorry just not sure how to go about it given the fact technically its past the 14 days

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Okay, I will do that, thank you. I appreciate all of the help and information you've given me. I would've contacted them first thing, but of course nobody would be expected to be opened on Christmas! Is there a notes option in the refund section where we can let them know it wasn't opened until Christmas Day and given there was no way to contact them on the 25th or 26th we were wondering if it'd be possible for a refund? Sorry just not sure how to go about it given the fact technically its past the 14 days
I'd call them rather than putting a note on your account. It's far easier to do it over the phone.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh okay so just to confirm, I can ring them up for the refund and don’t have to do it on the website?
Yeah, just give them a call, explain that it’s likely the GOU isn’t working and would need returning for RMA but that you’d like to cancel the order

Ganggang

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah, just give them a call, explain that it’s likely the GOU isn’t working and would need returning for RMA but that you’d like to cancel the order
Okay I will ring them tomorrow. Thank you again. If the refund does go through, could you possibly advise a build for her within the same budget? Would be greatly appreciated.