New PC, soundcard & wireless problems

alljam

Just setting things up and hit 2 issues (order no. 362192): I get a working wired connection (via ethernet cable to my router) but the PC will not connect wirelessly. It recognises that the Sky network is there and I've entered up the ID and network key via the manage connections screens from the control panel but no joy. My Vista laptop connects ok wirelessly. Could it be an IP address problem i.e. they somehow both have the same IP address?

Also, I can get sound through my Creative 2.1 speakers ok via the pale green motherboard socket at the back of the PC. However plugging the speaker cable into the pale green (creative x-fi) soundcard port results in silence. I've looked through all the control panel options/checked default settings/device manager etc and am stumped by this. Any thoughts?

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Try updating the creative x-fi's driver. Go to the Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Device Manager --> Sound, Video and Game Controllers then click the x-fi icon to highlight it and click the green arrow pointing upwards at the top of the screen (it says "upate driver software if you hover the cursor over it).

alljam

I've looked again at device manager but noticed that the description is 'creative SB x-fi' however the order spec states x-fi titanium. Shouldn't it be described that way in device manager? Also noticed that my SB driver is dated 13/07/09 which is the same date as the latest 'x-fi Go!' usb card on the creative support site. The latest titanium driver is dated 26/7/10 on the creative support site. The cd supplied with the PC is branded 'creative x-fi xtreme fidelity' and has a 2008 date on it.
I'm now not sure if the PC has the titanium card so don't want to update the driver until I'm sure. How can I tell exactly which variant of the x-fi is in the PC?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Thats the correct disc for your sound card,go to control panel/sound/then make creative sb x-Fi default device.You should have creative software auto update in the start menu or you will have if you use disc installation.

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
As an afterthought wireless is not my forte but i have dabbled with it.two possibilities spring to mind,first maybe the signal is not strong enough for whatever reason,second maybe you have to grant permission on the pc the router is installed on .

Last edited:

alljam

Thanks! Found the creative autoupdate and installed a fair number of updates including the latest driver so now have lovely clear sound from the previously silent speakers (I hadn't realised I'd need to search for driver updates etc on a new machine; assume I'll need to do the same for the graphics card?). One minor issue though - the autoupdate app no longer works; a message pops up saying 'autoupdateres.crl not found'. I'm looking for it to download but haven't found it yet. Reluctant to pop the original install cd in since it may wipe out the updates I've just done. On to the wireless now...

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Thanks! Found the creative autoupdate and installed a fair number of updates including the latest driver so now have lovely clear sound from the previously silent speakers (I hadn't realised I'd need to search for driver updates etc on a new machine; assume I'll need to do the same for the graphics card?). One minor issue though - the autoupdate app no longer works; a message pops up saying 'autoupdateres.crl not found'. I'm looking for it to download but haven't found it yet. Reluctant to pop the original install cd in since it may wipe out the updates I've just done. On to the wireless now...
Not quite sure what 'autoupdateres.crl is,try uninstalling creative software updates from programs & features in control panel,then reinstalling,this should not uninstall anything else,first clean temp files.

Last edited:

alljam

I have norton IS 2010 running. Also just stupidly noticed that the green speaker jack was plugged into the motherboard port rather than the soundcard, switched it and now no sound. I did find a second antennae in the welcome box and a 2nd point for it I hadn't noticed before so will try the wireless again after I uninstall creative software updates.

alljam

screwing in the 2nd antennae did the trick for the wireless connection; my old PC just had one antennae point so hadn't noticed I even had two of them initially. Uninstalled creative software update but now can't reinstall it from the creative support site.

alljam

I had done but maybe the updates & restart had changed that - checked it and the x-fi speakers option wasn't default anymore. Set it as default and now I get sound so that's a result. Just need to sort the autoupdate issue now.