New PC

Timmo

Hi Everyone,

Just ordered a new PC after having my dell for 6 years and adding what upgrades I could over time I finally decided it was time for an upgrade.

I have ordered the following and will be looking for a graphics card over the next few weeks to add to it, as I just couldn't decide what to get. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Case - PCS ALPHA TRION 7622B BLACK CASE
Processor -Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4670K (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard - ASUS® Z87-A: ATX, USB3.0, SATA6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE
Memory - 8GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card - INTEGRATED GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR (GPU)
Memory Hard Disk - 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE
DVD Drive - 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply - CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling - Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Sound Card - ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking - 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options - MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable - 1 x 2 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System - NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
DVD Recovery Media - NO DVD RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software - NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus - NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty - 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery - STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time - Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Is it for gaming? I would downgrade to the i5-4670 (non-k) and push for a slightly better case

Timmo

Yeah, that's the plan along with photo editing.

Why the change in the i5 and why change the case?

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
You didn't indicate your intended use, for gaming an i5 is more than adequate. A better case will offer better cooling especially if you are planning to add a dedicated gpu

Timmo

OK, thanks for the tip.

Have just upgraded to a COOLERMASTER HAF 912 PLUS MID TOWER GAMING CASE with 2 x 12CM Black Case Fan :)

Timmo

Have been having a look around at graphics cards and am thinking about the Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 760.

Has anyone here got one? How does it perform? Is it suitable for my build?

Timmo

Is the power supply a bit overkill? Would I be better off with the CORSAIR 450W or 550W VS SERIES™? Or is it better to pay the extra £30 for the 650W 80 plus?

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Is the power supply a bit overkill? Would I be better off with the CORSAIR 450W or 550W VS SERIES™? Or is it better to pay the extra £30 for the 650W 80 plus?
I would stick with the CORSAIR 650W CS just to be on the safe side,and also allows more scope for any possible future upgrades.

Timmo

I'm wondering if it is worth upgrading the Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler to the Coolermaster Seidon or Corsair H60?

How well do these two perform?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Get a better CPU cooler and case if you wish to overclock the i5-4670k. H80i is a good choice

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Then you shouldn't get the i5-4670k, the i5-4670 (non k) + triple copper heat pipe CPU cooler