New SSD not showing. Is it defective or am I doing something wrong?

Animal_79

Bronze Level Poster
No...

5 pins

1640096309166.png

:unsure:

Animal_79

Bronze Level Poster
It's a SATA M2 connector, the 970 Evo is an NVME, it's a different connection interface. NVME uses the PCIe interface.

You'll need a SATA M2 drive.
Ok, that makes sense.

I bit disapointing that PCS's upgrade page was offering it but there we go.

Given that PCS don't seem to have a compatable drive available is anybody able to recomend?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok, that makes sense.

I bit disapointing that PCS's upgrade page was offering it but there we go.

Given that PCS don't seem to have a compatable drive available is anybody able to recomend?
Are you sure there isn't another M2 connection on that laptop?

Animal_79

Bronze Level Poster
Is it possible that there is a slot on the otherside of the board? I don't think I'd be confident taking it out...

Bhuna50

Author Level
The defiance keyboard on my old 17” used to pop out and reveal extra memory slots but I can’t remember if it had room for anything else it might do.

I suggest a call to PCS and ask to discuss with someone.

FerrariVie

Super Star
Maybe PCS is offering the Samsung SSD as a replacement for your intel 600p?

Based on the model number you gave previously, I believe to have found the manual for it on Clevo's website: https://www.clevo.com.tw/en/e-services/download/USRManualOut.asp?model=P65xRP6

The manual is quite confusing with lots of different sub-models and design versions, but there is a warning that caught my attention (in red below):

1641335319332.png

1641335383643.png

1641335404509.png

Not sure if this is applicable to your model though. I was able to find out that model A is 15" while model B is 17", but there is still the question about your model A being design 1 or 2. Have a look at pages 346-350 and try to sort it out.

Last edited:

FerrariVie

Super Star
Looking at it better now after a good night of sleep and a coffee :rolleyes::p , it looks to me that the basic difference between design 1 and design 2 is that the former has 2 2.5"slots and 4 M.2 slots (WLAN, SSD PCie, SSD SATA and 3G/4G), while the latter has 1 2.5" and 3 M.2 (WLAN, SSD PCIe and 3G/4G+SSD SATA).

So seeing your pictures with 1 2.5" and that your slot 3 is indeed 3G/4G+SATA, then it very likely means that your model is design 2 and you also won't be able to use PCIe (NVME) M.2 SSD if you have a SATA M.2 drive, it's either 1 PCIe alone (as you have) or 2 SATA M.2.

I have a similar issue with my Nova, but my limitation is not being able to use 2 M.2 NVMEs at the same time, it's either: 1 NVME at half speed and 1 SATA, or 1 NVME at full speed and no SATA, or 2 SATA.

My suggestion would be that you keep your new Samsung NVME drive, sell your Intel 600p and then buy an extra 2.5" SATA (instead of M.2) if you still need the extra storage.