new system

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Titans aren't usually as good bang for buck for gaming. Would personally stick with the 1080 Ti unless you are doing anything else with the PC

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Titans aren't usually as good bang for buck for gaming. Would personally stick with the 1080 Ti unless you are doing anything else with the PC

Anything above £1400 is not giving me any value for money anymore. It is just for gaming but if the performance difference is more than 10% I might go for it. I contacted PCS and they are going to be building the system from next week so if I can get some benchmarks before that I might go for it.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I suspect that GTX 1080 ti SLI will be a vastly better option than the new Titan.

A leaked bench of the Titan Xp puts it at about 8000 firestrike 4k http://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-titan-xp-breaks-cover-in-tomb-raider vs ~6800 for a reference 1080 ti and 7214 for a factory OCed 1080 ti. Another set of benches puts it 11% faster than a reference gtx 1080 ti at stock clocks.

http://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-titan-xp-breaks-cover-in-tomb-raider
https://videocardz.com/newz/first-nvidia-titan-xp-benchmark-result-emerges
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_gtx_1080_ti_gaming_x_review,28.html

So 1080 ti SLI / DX12 mGPU would slap it senseless pretty much across the board.

A single 1080 ti is arguably more than enough. Have some Ultrawide benches @ Ultra:
3440-x-1440-Average-FPS-Ultra-Preset-Gaming-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-1080-Benchmark.jpg
http://www.toptengamer.com/gtx-1080-ti-vs-gtx-1080-ultrawide-gaming-benchmark/

And where the GPU is on 75-80FPS it seems unlikely a Titan Xp would get you there. SLI would though.

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I suspect that GTX 1080 ti SLI will be a vastly better option than the new Titan.

A leaked bench of the Titan Xp puts it at about 8000 firestrike 4k http://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-titan-xp-breaks-cover-in-tomb-raider vs ~6800 for a reference 1080 ti and 7214 for a factory OCed 1080 ti. Another set of benches puts it 11% faster than a reference gtx 1080 ti at stock clocks.

http://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-titan-xp-breaks-cover-in-tomb-raider
https://videocardz.com/newz/first-nvidia-titan-xp-benchmark-result-emerges
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_gtx_1080_ti_gaming_x_review,28.html

So 1080 ti SLI / DX12 mGPU would slap it senseless pretty much across the board.

A single 1080 ti is arguably more than enough. Have some Ultrawide benches @ Ultra:
View attachment 10049
http://www.toptengamer.com/gtx-1080-ti-vs-gtx-1080-ultrawide-gaming-benchmark/

And where the GPU is on 75-80FPS it seems unlikely a Titan Xp would get you there. SLI would though.

The issue is that a 2nd GTX 1080 ti is £1000 and swapping for a GTX Titan Xp is £500. The additional cost is the bigger liquid cooling kit needed as well as the additional waterblock. I am hoping for around 15% improvement to justify it but from your findings that seems unlikely. I am a bit confused with resolutions. I am getting an ultra wide monitor (3440x1440) is that considered 2k? 3k? 1440p?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I see the issue. My word, that's expensive. The waterblock cost seems pretty negligible in the overall picture but the base kit comes out as over £200.

I don't know what to suggest then. The Titan's price will likely be extortionate for the performance, but with the liquid cooled system since you're less comfortable doing the maintenance and upgrading than with a regular PC, there's more of an argument than there normally would be to consider the GPU's additional performance per £ in the context of the overall system than just as an individual part. If the liquid system is ~£2500, the Titan is 25% extra to that cost, which if it does deliver about 15% extra performance isn't too bad - compared to the performance per £ of of just the GPUs.

One thing to consider is whether you think there's any chance you might want to SLI in the future with either card, even if that meant adding in an air-cooled GPU? If there is, buying a Titan now means you'd need to buy another one in the future in order to do that, which will be considerably more than getting a 2nd 1080 ti.

In terms of the resolution and performance...

I would consider it as Ultrawide 1440p, as distinct from either regular 1440p or 4k. There is a fairly substantial difference in performance at 3440x1440 compared to both 1440p and 4k. e.g.
NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Rise-Of-The-Tomb-Raider-3440x1440.png NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Rise-Of-The-Tomb-Raider-3840x2160.png
http://techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/3/

If you compare the 1080 ti to the 1080, for example, you tend to see a greater difference at 4k than at 1440p. So to gauge performance for your setup, when various benchmarks come out I'd recommend looking up benchmarks specific to 3440x1440p rather than inferring from either 1440p or 4k to see if you get your 15%. Given how high end a card it is, I'm pretty sure it won't take long for someone to bench it at 3440x1440p. :)

I would be surprised if we saw a 10-15% performance increase over the 1080 ti at that resolution. But I guess we'll see soon enough.

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I see the issue. My word, that's expensive. The waterblock cost seems pretty negligible in the overall picture but the base kit comes out as over £200.

I don't know what to suggest then. The Titan's price will likely be extortionate for the performance, but with the liquid cooled system since you're less comfortable doing the maintenance and upgrading than with a regular PC, there's more of an argument than there normally would be to consider the GPU's additional performance per £ in the context of the overall system than just as an individual part. If the liquid system is ~£2500, the Titan is 25% extra to that cost, which if it does deliver about 15% extra performance isn't too bad - compared to the performance per £ of of just the GPUs.

One thing to consider is whether you think there's any chance you might want to SLI in the future with either card, even if that meant adding in an air-cooled GPU? If there is, buying a Titan now means you'd need to buy another one in the future in order to do that, which will be considerably more than getting a 2nd 1080 ti.

In terms of the resolution and performance...

I would consider it as Ultrawide 1440p, as distinct from either regular 1440p or 4k. There is a fairly substantial difference in performance at 3440x1440 compared to both 1440p and 4k. e.g.
View attachment 10061 View attachment 10062
http://techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/3/

If you compare the 1080 ti to the 1080, for example, you tend to see a greater difference at 4k than at 1440p. So to gauge performance for your setup, when various benchmarks come out I'd recommend looking up benchmarks specific to 3440x1440p rather than inferring from either 1440p or 4k to see if you get your 15%. Given how high end a card it is, I'm pretty sure it won't take long for someone to bench it at 3440x1440p. :)

I would be surprised if we saw a 10-15% performance increase over the 1080 ti at that resolution. But I guess we'll see soon enough.

Thanks for the feedback. Since the system is definitely going back to PCS within 2 years for maintenance I could then upgrade to a stronger GPU then and I think a single GTX 1080 ti should be fine for gaming for that time. Or I could just get a 2nd GTX 1080 ti now. The Xp is probably not worth the money.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Monitor looks nice and I manage to play far cry 3 at 3440x1440 without any issues with my laptop. It is an old game but still pleasantly surprised. The quick guide is like 300 pages and it took me like 10 minutes to power it as I wasn't aware it had a separated power supply included.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Monitor looks nice and I manage to play far cry 3 at 3440x1440 without any issues with my laptop. It is an old game but still pleasantly surprised. The quick guide is like 300 pages and it took me like 10 minutes to power it as I wasn't aware it had a separated power supply included.

That is a stunning monitor, I think you made the right choice there!

keynes

Multiverse Poster
That is a stunning monitor, I think you made the right choice there!

Unfortunately I did not measure well and I need to buy a desk for it. Someone from PCS also added fast track to my order but I had to ask for a delay as I am still pondering on whether to add a 2nd gpu, upgrade to the Xp or just leave it as it is.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I have been told it could start building this week and possibly dispatch next week , as long as it is before the bank holiday that would be fine by me. Decided to go with SLI GTX 1080 ti. A shame that there are limited cases, not very keen on the Corsair 780t. I hope in the future they improve the options for the liquid cooled series and be more flexible in terms of cases. When contacting other vendors they seems to be more keen in accommodating different cases but I couldn't even managed to get at least a black version of the 780t or the airflow version of the 750d. Emails very always answered promptly so can't fault PCS with after sales service and even with limited options in some areas I decided to stick with them as I know their customer service is pretty good. High expectations on the new pc.

jerpers

Master
You got the Vive mate and from what I can tell a wife more understanding than mine. Wouldn't get away to upgrade from a 980 ti to a 1080 ti on her watch.

Lol. The 980Ti went to the kids so I wangled it that way. It literally only just fit in the old R3 case, it's pressed up against the HDD cages, had to put it in at an angle.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I just hope it comes soon as everyday I am making further amendments (9 so far). It seems the Corsair 780t does not come with the blue led fans as shown in the picture and different fans are included as part of the liquid cooling kit. No flexibility from PCS in terms of sourcing blue led fans or a different colour case. Options are to stick with the 780t or go with the 750D. Thermaltake X5 is just overpriced and the other 2 cases are delivered with a pallet which is just too much. I am going for a blue theme and that's why I went for the 780t. I think the configurator should provide more information on what comes with the case for those that want a specific colour scheme.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Why not go with the 750D then? The side window seems a bit fuller, which could let you appreciate the aesthetic more :)

I'm intrigued that the Define S is also an option.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Why not go with the 750D then? The side window seems a bit fuller, which could let you appreciate the aesthetic more :)

I'm intrigued that the Define S is also an option.

I could go with the 750D but again there is a newer version which is the airflow but PCS won't budge on that either. My idea is that the 780t is more spacious and would provide easier access to the system as well as better cooling? Correct me if I am wrong though. However I doubt I will fiddle inside and the 750D is £53 cheaper. It is just a shame that PCS offers a lot of choice on customisation but not as much in this case.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I haven't made a study of the 750D but afaics the Airflow edition seems the same as the regular edition, it just has holes in the front to let in more air.

There are a lot of reviews of the 750D (I have a list of a dozen or so) but I've only found 1 review of the Airflow edition which makes me think the need for additional airflow wasn't large enough for anyone to care, unlike the 2015 revision of the H440 for example, which seems to perform a lot better than the 2014 original. Plus you're going for a custom loop cooled solution. It's subjective but in my opinion the Airflow version is a bit ugly with all those holes. The reviews I've seen have been quite positive about the 750D's cooling.

I guess the 780 ti is larger so would give more room, but it doesn't sound like you'd be doing much fiddling with the innards.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I haven't made a study of the 750D but afaics the Airflow edition seems the same as the regular edition, it just has holes in the front to let in more air.

There are a lot of reviews of the 750D (I have a list of a dozen or so) but I've only found 1 review of the Airflow edition which makes me think the need for additional airflow wasn't large enough for anyone to care, unlike the 2015 revision of the H440 for example, which seems to perform a lot better than the 2014 original. Plus you're going for a custom loop cooled solution. It's subjective but in my opinion the Airflow version is a bit ugly with all those holes. The reviews I've seen have been quite positive about the 750D's cooling.

I guess the 780 ti is larger so would give more room, but it doesn't sound like you'd be doing much fiddling with the innards.

It's probably me nitpicking on aesthetics rather than performance. It is like choosing between which case you dislike the least rather than which one you prefer. Just disappointed on the lack of choice and flexibility.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
After 13 working days, 13 amendments and numerous email it is finally awaiting dispatch. I have to wait until saturday as I can't get a day off this week.