Noisy PC

Logicdon

Ye so the GPU is constantly at 1250 or so rpm, even when pc is idling. (This is according to HWmonitor).

Not sure what to do?

Do I need to uninstall and reinstall driver?

Bit annoyed as it is brand new today.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ye so the GPU is constantly at 1250 or so rpm, even when pc is idling. (This is according to HWmonitor).

Not sure what to do?

Do I need to uninstall and reinstall driver?

Bit annoyed as it is brand new today.
Firstly, what's the resulting issue?

Don't be bogged down by numbers, are there any symptoms that are caused from that?

Can you include screenshots and the full system specs from the order page?

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
GPU shouldn’t have fans running if idle. Sounds like a default fan curve has been applied perhaps. I’d do a clean install of GPU drivers, then use afterburner to apply a fan curve that has fans starting when GPU temp hits around 50C. My 3070ti fans settle at 60% RPM under full load and keeps temp at 70C. Acoustic level is decent at that RPM level

Logicdon

Case
LIAN LI LANCOOL 215 GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-12400 (2.5GHz) 18MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4: ATX, LGA1700, USB 3.2, SATA 6GBs - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 Ti - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3000MB/sR, 1600MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 150 Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge
Warranty

Only symptom at the moment is loud fans. Not at home at the minute so cannot provide screenshot. Both fans on GPU running at over 1200 rpm even when nothing is happening, no games, no internet tabs open etc.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
GPU shouldn’t have fans running if idle. Sounds like a default fan curve has been applied perhaps. I’d do a clean install of GPU drivers, then use afterburner to apply a fan curve that has fans starting when GPU temp hits around 50C. My 3070ti fans settle at 60% RPM under full load and keeps temp at 70C. Acoustic level is decent at that RPM level
This isn't correct, it completely depends which make and model GPU it is.

A lot of lesser models do not have zero rpm fans.

@Logicdon if you could let us know the make and model of the GPU, you can find this out with GPU z

Logicdon

O
This isn't correct, it completely depends which make and model GPU it is.

A lot of lesser models do not have zero rpm fans.

@Logicdon if you could let us know the make and model of the GPU, you can find this out with GPU z

Ok no problem, but I'll will have too wait until I finish work

Logicdon

Just spoke to PCS. The guy said he would send me some information and suggested to use msi afterburner.

I haven't received the email yet but should I need 3rd party software to control a brand new GPU? That seems bonkers to me!

Not happy at all, the whole thing is going to get returned soon.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Just spoke to PCS. The guy said he would send me some information and suggested to use msi afterburner.

I haven't received the email yet but should I need 3rd party software to control a brand new GPU? That seems bonkers to me!

Not happy at all, the whole thing is going to get returned soon.
Depends on the GPU, I've a Zotac card, and their software Firestorm is a bit crap, so I use Afterburner to apply custom fan curve (and an undervolt). For AMD cards, Adrenalin allows users to config fans and performance I believe.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It's not that you're HAVING to use 3rd party software to control the GPU, it's that you're not happy with the DEFAULT settings the GPU has applied...so we're just offering a way to change the default to something more to your liking.

If the default is 1250rpm for that GPU, then the options are either 3rd party software (unless the GPU manufacturer offers a customisation tool themselves) or a different brand of GPU.

Logicdon

Ok thanks. Also I got the email from PCS. It is also a YouTube video.

Is this normal though? Should I need to research things to make a brand new GPU work? All previous machines I've had I haven't had to.

I'm a bit upset with PCS's advice, maybe it's correct, but it just feels like they took £1500 off me and then shrugged when I had an issue.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
With custom PCs, there's a slightly higher learning curve than with an OEM PC like a Dell, HP, etc. You're prioritising performance/ascetics/etc over simplified operation. I would consider myself very technical (computer user since a kid with an Amstrad CPC 464, studied computer science in college, work in a SAAS company) and even I had expand my knowledge on how to optimise my PCS PC when I first got it. Now as a nerd, I loved that challenge. But for some people it's more stress than anything, and that's why Dell and HP etc will always have a market for their gaming PCs. Even if Gamer Nexus slates them....

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok thanks. Also I got the email from PCS. It is also a YouTube video.

Is this normal though? Should I need to research things to make a brand new GPU work? All previous machines I've had I haven't had to.

I'm a bit upset with PCS's advice, maybe it's correct, but it just feels like they took £1500 off me and then shrugged when I had an issue.
The GPU is working fine though, there's nothing wrong with it, it's just that it doesn't meet your standards. But it's working as intended.

With anything PC related, the defaults are often not optimal for our own requirements, that's nothing wrong with the hardware, just our own personal liking. That's the benefit of custom pcs is that everything is adjustable.

Logicdon

I thought a fan curve would have been part of the driver or something. So this constant speed is normal! Surely the fans will fail sooner than they should.

Logicdon

Do I need to use ddu or will uninstalling from device manager be good enough?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Zotac/PC Partner
Device ID: 10DE 2489-19DA 1630

Is this the info you need?
If you click the lookup button in the top right?

1659026607850.png