Nominations for the best FPS game of all time

YAMAHA

Gold Level Poster
I can still remember the ol` Duke Nukem games, good as they were what do YOU think is the best FPS of all time?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
CoD 4 and WaW were what really got me started on fps, and before that I used to love Medal of Honor Rising Sun. So those 3 I think. And the original Bad Company was awesome too!

mishra

Rising Star
quake 1 - there was nothing like that before. FPS gaming was changed forever after this game.

bigben

Master Poster
For me it has to be either Cod4 or Bad Company 2 or Halo 3.
Certainly within my school year cod4 was the game that made online gaming popular. The single player story was amazing and the online was brilliant.

Bad Company 2, was the first Battlefield game I played, found it amazing that you could fly helicopters, drive tanks, blow walls up, gravity actually counted for something when sniping. I actually preferred this game to BF3.

Although WaW did have the best zombies maps...

steaky360

Best ever, I'd have to agree with the above and say quake and/or doom. Fantastic games! However I would rank metro up there with the best, it got me back into FPS games after a long hiatus.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
A more serious suggestion:

Goldeneye (when consoles were cool! :D )

and his little sister (and a very underrated game imo)

Perfect Dark

(N64 bias maybe? :D )

Presariofu

Bronze Level Poster
Medal of Honour Allied Assault for me. I spent ages playing that game, was the first PC game I played so, I might be a little rose tinted.

On console, I would have to say Halo 2 back on the original Xbox. I played in a Xbox community/non serious clan and, spent many late nights at weekend playing drunk on Halo games. Good times.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Doom or Perfect Dark for me.

Goldeneye was good, but Perfect Dark was everything you wished Goldeneye was :p

Doom was just great blasting excellence.

Outerarm

Unreal Tournament from way back then UT3 with the many different game types. I see the influence of UT in a lot of FPS these days.