Nova with 1440p 144hz refresh rate

lauwai

Bronze Level Poster
Ah, fair enough. Thanks for clarifying. I do think the 1000 and 2000 series mobile GPUs were much less hamstrung and cut down than the previous 800 and 900 series chips so are much more comparable with the desktop versions. The new mobile 3000s I fear will be much less of a jump from the 2000s due to power and cooling requirements and there will be quite a bit of a performance gap between desktop and mobile.

FerrariVie

Super Star
Ah, fair enough. Thanks for clarifying. I do think the 1000 and 2000 series mobile GPUs were much less hamstrung and cut down than the previous 800 and 900 series chips so are much more comparable with the desktop versions. The new mobile 3000s I fear will be much less of a jump from the 2000s due to power and cooling requirements and there will be quite a bit of a performance gap between desktop and mobile.
The 1660Ti is indeed very close to its desktop counterpart, just short of 30W (120W x 90W). When you go further up the line, the difference starts to get bigger: 45W diff for the 2060, 60W for the 2070, 65W for the 2080 (considering a 150W gpu).

@lauwai , I did a bit of research on the area 51m and I would like to kind of correct myself a bit here: it seems that Dell promised the area 51m to use 200W on the 2080, so it was supposed to be only 15W short of the desktop version. But since they're using the laptop chip that was designed to run at 150W, they're probably doing some kind of power overboost. If you consider that the 51m is huge, heavy (3.6Kgs), thick (42mm) and have big and loud fans (even more than the PCS nova), it should handle the 200W well, right? Actually, not at all. It was frying the VRMs on the models with the RTX 2080. So Dell issued a BIOS update that lowered the TDP of the 2080 to 180W and the max temperature limit to 78° for the GPU, which hampers performance a lot, it becomes even unplayable sometimes as the temps become very unstable:

So looking at how Dell struggled with 200W and is still struggling with 180W, I'm really curious to see how the RTX 30 will be specced on laptops regarding the TDP. It's a lot of heat for a laptop to dissipate. Maybe all GPUs will need to have liquid metal out of the box? But then how to deal with the fact that liquid metal needs to be repasted every year or so? Or maybe we'll reach a point were water cooling will be possible on a laptop? That would be the only solution to get closer to desktop performance, IMO.