NVIDIA & AMD : #Opinions!

Jaymee-Nausica

Gold Level Poster
EVGA GTX 670 FTW - If it comes already running at 1006Mhz Core clock speed, is that a stock card, or has it been pre OC'd...?

XFX DD BE 7950 - With this card, It comes already running at 900Mhz Core clock speed, I think thats already OC'd right...?

Or are they Both pre overclocked but they call them both "Stock OC'd Cards". lol If you get what I mean... ?

--- I need to know this :) lol .......

keynes

Multiverse Poster
--- I need to know this lol .......
I have no idea what the stock clock speed is for either but if you google reference cards you can have an idea of whether it is overclocked or not.

Jaymee-Nausica

Gold Level Poster
7950 Stock is 800Mhz

670 Stock is 925mhz

---- As far as i know, before they launched all these Pre OC'd versions and made from other manufacturers like your XFX, EVGA, PALIT, MSI, etc etc

Im pretty sure its that anyway, but wanted maybe some kinda conformation from anyone else on here :pinch:

-----

I keep hearing the 670 FTW performs similar to a 680 stock...? But then also that the 7950 OC'd performs aswell as a 670, but then that would mean the 7950 is on par with a 680, but that dont seem right to me. :D lol

I am kinda thinking of getting the EVGA GTX 670 GTW, because Nvidia just seems more reliable, with its drivers, and just more quality overall, But then i keep hearing about that card acting like its your Boiler in the kitchen for your central heating and hot water :D Haha Them 70-90 temps there, Wth :D Offputting

Corfate

Author Level
Just go 670 :p

My 670 FTW edition runs below 70c on all games pretty much. Yes, hot air is pooring out the back of the card and it's hot to the touch, but i challange you to find a card that plays everything on Ultra and doesn't get toasty :p

Jaymee-Nausica

Gold Level Poster
Ite, say I went for the GTX 670 FTW right.... How long will that last untill I need to SLI.....? In your opinion Corfate :)........................ Or anyone else.....

Corfate

Author Level
Ite, say I went for the GTX 670 FTW right.... How long will that last untill I need to SLI.....? In your opinion Corfate :)........................ Or anyone else.....

I'd give it a year and a half to 2 years before you'd need to consider SLI'ing it. 2 years at a push.

Both GPU's will play stuff on ultra, and both struggle further along the line. I'd skip SLI'ing it, and just get a newer better card down the line :)

Jaymee-Nausica

Gold Level Poster
My PC Mite arrive this week! I picked the Asus V Mobo with the TX-850w Corsair PSU for SLI/X-fire...! :D So I mite aswell do it in future right...? lol Also, I wasn't thinking of buying a New GPU till around 2 years Minimum anyway :)

Im kinda looking to get your card Corfate, it does look really nice aswell, Nvidia is winning my decision mode atm.

Do you think SLI 670s can play nearly as good but obviously not quite as good as 1 single GTX 690...lol ?

Corfate

Author Level
My PC Mite arrive this week! I picked the Asus V Mobo with the TX-850w Corsair PSU for SLI/X-fire...! :D So I mite aswell do it in future right...? lol Also, I wasn't thinking of buying a New GPU till around 2 years Minimum anyway :)

Im kinda looking to get your card Corfate, it does look really nice aswell, Nvidia is winning my decision mode atm.

Do you think SLI 670s can play nearly as good but obviously not quite as good as 1 single GTX 690...lol ?

A single 670 can blitz pratically any game, so 2 will be beastly :)

the 690 is in a league of it's own though, hence the price tag. So no, i wouldn't say that 2 670's would match 1 690, but neither setup would dip below 60 fps in most games.

samwil

Enthusiast
Actually the GTX 670 is more superior in almost every situation

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/05/10/nvidia-geforce-gtx-670-2gb-review/5
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/05/10/nvidia-geforce-gtx-670-2gb-review/7

Except arma 2, where the Nvidia cards aren't utilised as well as the AMD cards http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/05/10/nvidia-geforce-gtx-670-2gb-review/4
EDIT: I shouldn't say Nvidia cards aren't utilised as well, what I mean is, generally nvidia cards are utilised better than AMD cards in more modern games, however a few years ago this wasn't the case, this is why you see the difference in performance with elder games.

In all the newer games, GTX is superior at the moment due to the drivers and the fact that game developers usually seem to optimize more for GTX cards as they are generally more popular.

Minor differences in power consumption, GTX however is superior it seems slightly.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/05/10/nvidia-geforce-gtx-670-2gb-review/8

The GTX runs slightly hotter whilst on most benchmarks, only by a negligible amount though

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Personally I don't think Nvidia cards are necessarily superior to AMD,although the consensus of opinion would appear to disagree.I myself have used nvidia cards in the past but the AMD card I have now is much better than any of them.I would go for the 7970.It's easy to post links to "prove" otherwise but have a look at this.
http://www.hwcompare.com/12508/geforce-gtx-670-vs-radeon-hd-7970/

Last edited:

Jaymee-Nausica

Gold Level Poster
Oh right, well im sure thats a good card you have :) , but ive only been reading articles and benchmarks kinda on the newer cards :stuart:

- I like people posting on this Thread just to get wider range of opinions and stuff

samwil

Enthusiast
Personally I don't think Nvidia cards are necessarily superior to AMD,although the consensus of opinion would appear to disagree.I myself have used nvidia cards in the past but the AMD card I have now is much better than any of them.I would go for the 7970.It's easy to post links to "prove" otherwise but have a look at this.
http://www.hwcompare.com/12508/geforce-gtx-670-vs-radeon-hd-7970/

I'm my opinion benchmarks and performance during tests is more important than overall statistics,

Reasons?
You want to see how something will perform whilst in use, it's like saying,
(excuse the silly explanation methods)
My gun is twice as big as yours! When the gun he is using isn't adequate enough for the job. ;)

Measuring things as they are at work is the best option for hardware i.m.o,
Even though AMD may outperform the Nvidia here purely in specifications, it wont when it comes to general tasks and actual use of the GPU, specifications aren't everything, as they say, the proof is in the pudding!

Also vanthus, you went and said about how I post links to backup my opinion, or "Prove" something, and then do exactly the same :S

Last edited: