NVIDIA & AMD : #Opinions!

Jaymee-Nausica

Gold Level Poster
Hey All :)

I have ordered my new PC, due in a few weeks time hopefully :) but I am buying my own GPU to install myself.

I was going with the XFX AMD 7950 Black Edition, OC'd.

But as of late I have watched numerous videos and read articles regarding Driver issues, artifacts with the 7000 series AMD cards in games like Crysis 2 and Skyrim, problems with Crossfiring and other annoyances which I have not yet once heard in relation to any new NVIDIA cards.

This has had an effect on my decision as I am now leaning towards getting a GTX 670, although they are quite a bit more expensive for me, but seem much more reliable.

# Please Drop your thoughts, experiences and opinions! :smartass:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I got an HD 6670 and the GTX 680, I haven't experienced any issues with either. It seems driver updates (including beta drivers) are coming more often for the nvidia cards than the HD 6670 and you also have PhysX with nvidia. If it is between the HD 7950 and the gtx 670 then the latter will perform better.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
hmm,m its a tough one,

personally, if you can afford a 670, then go for that, but if not just settle with the 7950.

or speak to a guy that has a 7950 would be ya best bet.

Jaymee-Nausica

Gold Level Poster
Yeah see this is it. EVGA GTA 670 is like £300 whereas the XFX AMD 7950 is like £240.

At the moment, for me, that £60 difference is a big one. :D :(

Ahh mannnn, Im bad at decision making, Tom Gee'd Me up to get the CM Trooper :) Although i initially had the idea, but he took advantage of it. :D

I think i will be happy I picked the Trooper now, once ive modded it a bit. As for the GPU (--__--) Ibet I end up sticking with the 7950.

Thanks though I will try see whos got that card.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Yeah see this is it. EVGA GTA 670 is like £300 whereas the XFX AMD 7950 is like £240.
You can get the GTX 670 from PCS for less than £300, less hassle in terms of warranty if you experience a problem. There is not a significant difference in performance between different manufacturers.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Speak to corfate he has a evga 670 FTW edition, seems pretty happy with it. :)

ps, will be a nice rig....

Jaymee-Nausica

Gold Level Poster
My Original Spec on the Configuration is still there, i kept it. :)

When I added the GTX 670 it added on £296. I worked it out. So that is kinda the £300 mark. lol

Tom: With the windowed side panels you love talking about :cool: lol Im going to take pictures and upload them in a thread when my PC arrives and i will most likely take pictures when i upgrade the side panel or add things like lights etc. :)

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
My Original Spec on the Configuration is still there, i kept it. :)

When I added the GTX 670 it added on £296. I worked it out. So that is kinda the £300 mark. lol

less than £300 :)
if there are any issues some retailers may take a while to process your RMA, with PCS is usually pretty fast.

Jaymee-Nausica

Gold Level Poster
I hear what your saying Keynes trust me, "peace of mind" and all. The 670 most likely is the slightly better Card over the 7950, but money wise its still pushing it for me right now with the extra £60, I already went over budget for the overall build. :D lol I could maybe spend that £60 on a few games ! I haven't even bought any games yet in advance, Haha what a joke.

Hmm, I guess it just comes down to installation of the Correct Drivers, be it a NVIDIA or AMD card....

Narcotics

Rising Star
This is a good one for £239.99 MSI HD 7950 Twin Frozr III OC V2 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card with SIX FREE PC GAMES
agsdgdgs.jpg

Last edited:

Jaymee-Nausica

Gold Level Poster
Do you actually get all the games though, or do you only have a choice of 1 game. Im sure it says that in the terms and conditions small print... :detective: Unless I read it wrong....

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I'm playing Planetside 2 at the moment and from what I've heard AMD users are having a lot of trouble getting decent frame rates out of the game. Some pretty high end machines only managing 20fps. My GTX 670 never drops below 50fps and goes up to 100 on Planetside 2. Makes me glad I paid the extra for nvidia as I was originally going to get the 7970 I think.

I know that's only a one off example of a game that is obviously poorly optimized for AMD and there are probably games that have the same effect on Nvidia but sometimes paying that little extra can pay off x) I wouldn't worry about being able to afford games for when it arrives, you can get plenty of free ones like Planetside 2 and Team Fortress 2 off Steam to get you going and then the sales bring a lot of games down to like £3.74 (I think Left 4 Dead 2 is one of them in the sale at the moment). You don't have to go out and spend £30+ per game unless you want the latest releases :)

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I wished i'd coughed up the extra for Nvidia, Borderland 2 in particular make that even more so. Even with Physix on Low on my ATI GPU it slows and gets little micro lags when it has to think about the physixs as its performed through the CPU. On single player its not much of a problem but in multiplayer theres 4 players all causing physixs effects and the performance really takes a dive.

Jaymee-Nausica

Gold Level Poster
Question: Why are people so gassed up about EVGA Cards...? Just wondering. :stuart: For example the EVGA FTW GTX 670..? I know those cards get very hot after afew hours and the cooling method don't seem good to me, maybe im not educated enough on it, lol but as far as i know they in-take cool air from 1 little fan at the bottom, then just exhaust it out the back. Is that better compared to GPU cards fitted with 2 large fans, like for example on the Signature 2 type EVGA cards, the MSI twin frozers or XFX 7000 series...? I want a card with good cooling because i know once i place that nice Window side panel on the CM Trooper it will take away the option for 2 120mm side fans, so ideally ide want a nicely cooled card. Im kinda stuck in choice between an EVGA Sig 2 type card, or an XFX card. :whistling: #Still haven't decided. :p