Ofcom 'three strikes' policy for illegal downloaders

keynes

Multiverse Poster
From March 2014 detected illegal downloaders will start receiving letters from ISPs letting them know they are suspected of copyright infringement. This action is part of a draft obligations code in the Digital Economy Act (DEA) just published by Ofcom. Web users with three accusations within a period of a year may have their anonymous details sent to copyright holders who in turn can apply for a court order to reveal the identity of the suspected digital thief.
http://hexus.net/business/news/legal/41589-ofcom-three-strikes-policy-illegal-downloaders/

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I do always love the argument that people can piggy back your wifi and then you get the blame...

What I don't get is that people put a password on their phone, but just ignore the fact their wifi is open to all and sundry :)

Using the three strikes method also does away with moans about false accusation...falsely accused three times? No, you did something naughty and just don't want to admit it! :D

Buzz

Master
Its been here for about a year now with my ISP, I dont know 1 single person that has had a letter yet though

Its weird though as back in Nov 2011 a European Court of Justice decision that internet service providers (ISPs) cannot be forced to monitor their networks for illegal file sharing, vindicates the approach taken by Irish music labels, according to their representative body.

The European Court of Justice found yesterday that “EU law precludes the imposition of an injunction by a national court which requires an internet service provider to install a filtering system with a view to preventing the illegal downloading of files”.

And as the review said, Id love to know how it will work for places with open wifi like hotels and airports etc.

I do always love the argument that people can piggy back your wifi and then you get the blame...

What I don't get is that people put a password on their phone, but just ignore the fact their wifi is open to all and sundry :)

Using the three strikes method also does away with moans about false accusation...falsely accused three times? No, you did something naughty and just don't want to admit it! :D

There was a ruling last wk or wk before in Finland stating that open wifi networks can not be held responsible. Not sure how this would effect the rest the world.

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Its been here for about a year now with my ISP, I dont know 1 single person that has had a letter yet though

Its weird though as back in Nov 2011 a European Court of Justice decision that internet service providers (ISPs) cannot be forced to monitor their networks for illegal file sharing, vindicates the approach taken by Irish music labels, according to their representative body.

The European Court of Justice found yesterday that “EU law precludes the imposition of an injunction by a national court which requires an internet service provider to install a filtering system with a view to preventing the illegal downloading of files”.

And as the review said, Id love to know how it will work for places with open wifi like hotels and airports etc.

Yep, EU Competition Authorities could just disregard any imposition by the OFT/Competition Commission.

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
Yey one more stupid law that won't have any effect.

Do they seriously expect ISPs to monitor all their users and send them letters when they infringe copyright? What sort of logistical and financial nightmare would that be? They should focus on more important things than file sharing, last time I checked the Avengers were pretty much still a big hit worldwide even with the "threat" of piracy.

Plus there will always be counter-measures.. The latest move was to force ISPs to block access to the Pirate Bay. This can be circumvented in 30s by a number of ways. Given the time it takes to actually go from proposal of a law to application of it, there will always be tons of ways to get around it, so it's essentially a waste of time.