Old computer failure help

Shibin

Enthusiast
On iPod forgive failures. Took out IDE DVD drive from old computer,did some basic cleaning on the super dirty computer. Plug computer in to check it and it worked first time then froze. Tried again and then never worked so reset CMOS bAttery. All the time computer turns on and makes the same old noises but nojing on screen. Pls help me guys.

Thanks guys
Shibin
Ps:haven't installed IDE drive into new compy. Waiting for verdict on this.also forgot to mention there was another cd drive and hdd attached to one huge IDE cable. The DVD drive was in the middle and just unplugged it and took it out

Edit:just found out there is also a floppy drive so overall there were 4 IDE devices but I took the DVD drive out. Also found out that it isn't one huge cable but 3 single cables,DVD drive was attached to one of them

Last edited:

steveuk87

Super Star
maybe corrupt drivers? if you have a working (own copy of windows) on it i would suggest plugging that in, the drivers may have corrupted on the ide HDD

Steve

Shibin

Enthusiast
I opened up the computer again and made sure everything was reseated and now te computer is working,only problem is i want to wipe everything and do a fresh install of windwos xp sp3 on it. But i dont have the cd,although i do have a valid product key. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can you re-install the os with no cd?

Sleinous

Author Level
No, you can't, but, if you have a valid serial, I do believe you can email/phone microsoft for a replacement CD/DVD that will be charged at P&P and cost of DVD itself, not serial. Obviously you'd have to provide serial as proof of purchase and for them to check it isnt an OEM install from your current PC (i.e one tat came pre-installed on your system that you didnt make recovery discs for)

Shibin

Enthusiast
Thanks dude,decided that there was nothing i could do and so uninstalled everyhing,did lots of scouring the hdd and deleting stuff. Used lots of cleaners and deleted lots of crap. Optimized Startup,so now its actually kinds fast...going to give it to a friend for free...wanted to make it the best it can be. Its all good for now. Gonna replace the dvd drive slot with the cover from my new computer :d