old hardware/64 bit pc .any suggestions?

gaz999

bought pc recently ,windows 7 64bit on drive,now finding that old software and some hardware u/s,such as scanner (visioneer onetouch 9020 usb) and would like the old windows qbasic(cardfile mainly) and the old solitaire--new version,don't like!. any suggestions or do i have to install windows xp? many thanks gaz

gaz999

cheers gorman,so how do i go about changing the compatability mode or xp mode? i assume lots of things won't run on 64 bit win 7(such as tomb raider etc.) all help greatly appreciated or xp 's going on my new pc! gaz

Gorman

Author Level
Compatability mode is right clicking the exe for the game or game installer and clicking the compatability tab, then trying out the various options.

XP mode is part of win 7 pro or ultimate which gives you an integrated virtual machine running XP.

A VM with XP is a custom build of a virtual machine running XP.

I am yet to come across a piece of hardware or game i could not get running on Vista x64 or 7 x64 that i had in front of me, there is always a way.

Running XP on a modern rig is a crying shame, whats the specs of your rig?

gaz999

gorman hi, spec is similar to the following-

Case
STYLISH PIANO BLACK ENIGMA CASE + 2 FRONT USB
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5-650 Dual Core (3.20GHz, 4MB Cache) + HD Graphics + Turbo Boost
Motherboard
ASUS® P7H55-M SI: MICRO ATX VALUE MAINBOARD,USB 2.0 & SATA 3.0Gb/s
Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
Graphics Card
768MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
250GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
Power Supply & Case Cooling
CORSAIR 650W PSU (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£76)
Processor Cooling
INTEL SOCKET LGA1156 STANDARD CPU COOLER
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 12 working days
Quantity

Price: £588.00 including VAT and delivery. I7 920 @ 4.0|Asus P6T|12GB DDR3 1333|GTX 480 @ 910|HX1000W|800D|Full Custom WC Loop

Originally Posted by Deklore
nb. changes made were hd 640 wd with 64mb cache

order no . was 356977

hope you can help,cheers gaz

Gorman

Author Level
The second you install XP you lose all direct x 10/11 functionality of the 460 and you also drop to around 3.2gb of useable memory.

Have you tried runnin the game in compatability mode as per above? if so what happened?

gaz999

hi again gorman,tried today to run programs as suggested but only managed to get" paperport" changed. other half, visioneer scanner, no go and said to contact my supplier/vendor as incompatible. same with --qbasic,the old ms solitaire and "risk"

i really appreciate your comments and the time you give people with your advice but as i use qbasic's cardfile on a regular basis and have many phone no's------ plus i need my scanner and i have loads of old pc games i'm losing hope so unless a miracle happens i still expect to see xp again soon! on the plus side . i love reading the pcs forum.so keep up the good work,cheers gaz.