omega II 2011 laptop

PLAYDODGY

Bronze Level Poster
a bit harsh,( maybe I just get annoyed sometimes)(apols to the staff that are good) ok lets try and put in perspective, they are trained , this is there bread and butter , ok, I am not trained , I don't do it for a living , yet I have more information on the item in question, plus some other things I have asked about than they have. when I was working in my field , I have all the top qualifications, and was excellent and efficient in what I did, but I also knew a lot about new techkno that was coming out and when.I made sure that I was the best I could be in my field, I had passion I enjoyed it, I strained to help and inform people to the best of my knowledge. It seems to me today that a lot of people in a work it is a job( notice I say job not career) it pays money and that's it, we should all go the extra mile don't you think..
Not being aware of the release of a new gpu shows lack of competence? A bit harsh don't you think? I couldn't follow the bit before about the difference in price of the CPU.

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
a bit harsh, ok lets try and put in perspective, they are trained , this is there bread and butter , ok, I am not trained , I don't do it for a living , yet I have more information on the item in question, plus some other things I have asked about than they have. when I was working in my field , I have all the top qualifications, and was excellent and efficient in what I did, but I also knew a lot about new techkno that was coming out and when.I made sure that I was the best I could be in y field, I had passion.

I personally don't think you can compare competence at work with not knowing when certain GPUs are going to be released especially since NVIDIA usually have NDA in place with retailers. You can be pretty enthusiastic and passionate but rubbish at your job as a counter example.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I might be wrong, but isn't it against the rules for any vendor to give out info on new cards before release day? Some advanced samples get sent to tech magazines, YouTube channels and the like that are then allowed to publish some reviews of them in the run up to release to drum up interest. I have seen products talked and talked and talked about being released 'soon' but that turns out to be months away.

The whole thing about the extra cost of the chip is explained by steaky above, might not be ideal but it just makes sense in business terms.

PLAYDODGY

Bronze Level Poster
maybe in business terms , but shouldn't they also be thinking of the consumer as well. like they make over 2500% profit when you get the better thermal paste for £9,as someone posted on here some time ago.
And yes they cannot say anything as to release dates etc, but when some one says after you ask them about it, check our web sight on Monday, well. that's not saying it will be there passé, but bending the rules abit don't you think.
I might be wrong, but isn't it against the rules for any vendor to give out info on new cards before release day? Some advanced samples get sent to tech magazines, YouTube channels and the like that are then allowed to publish some reviews of them in the run up to release to drum up interest. I have seen products talked and talked and talked about being released 'soon' but that turns out to be months away.

The whole thing about the extra cost of the chip is explained by steaky above, might not be ideal but it just makes sense in business terms.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
unfortunately if a business does what the customers want they wouldn't stay open very long. I posted in the thread about thermal compound and I agree the mark up is quite hefty, but then again that is for PCS to decide and could well be to do with the type of customer who buys the upgraded paste.

The simple reason they can't even bend the rules is they will have signed a NDA with Nvidia or whoever saying the can not talk about it period. For all they know it could be an Nvidia rep phoning to test and see if they would give anything away.

PLAYDODGY

Bronze Level Poster
Point taken.
unfortunately if a business does what the customers want they wouldn't stay open very long. I posted in the thread about thermal compound and I agree the mark up is quite hefty, but then again that is for PCS to decide and could well be to do with the type of customer who buys the upgraded paste.

The simple reason they can't even bend the rules is they will have signed a NDA with Nvidia or whoever saying the can not talk about it period. For all they know it could be an Nvidia rep phoning to test and see if they would give anything away.

PLAYDODGY

Bronze Level Poster
Bare in mind all said , I prob still buy it lol.Why because I still believe it is value for money when compared to other haswell priced laptops, alienware, etc. so keep it up PCS . I be see-ing you soon at the shop for my laptop.Shame as well that you don't do amd the spec I wanted, I wanted an amd laptop for my missus.

Dan92

I've just bought this laptop (The 17.3" Omega II) fully max for about £3000. I'm very worried about the CPU temperatures as the max (safe) temperature of the i7-4960X is 66.8°C opposed to The 17.3" Vortex IV Elite SE's i7-4930MX max temp of 100°C .

When i started to worry i considered canceling my order and getting the Vortex instead but i just love the chassis of the Omega II much better (due to the fact most of it is aluminum).

Should i really be worried about the temps or am i just over reacting?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
how did you get max safe temperature as 66.8? Are you overclocking the cpu? is it at full load?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I will say this one more time, please listen as It will save you a huge amount of money and loose you no performance.

You say you went for the 4960x, I mentioned earlier that no reason existed to do that. They performance gain of the 4960k over the 4930k is about 3% for over £300 spent, that's crazy. considering you could easily (very easily in act) get away with the quadcore option. You are really focused on the CPU far far too much, as I have pointed out several times and you seemed to agree with.

The temps you are seeing is, according to the intel website, the maximum temps at the heat spreader (the metal casing of the chip) the safe temps for the chip itself will probably be 100oc like the rest of the intel line up. Putting that chip into a laptop is going to create high temps, no way round it. But no higher than any other desktop chip.

I suspect you will regret some of your choices when you do finally take delivery for reasons previously discussed, namely heat and noise.

Dan92

how did you get max safe temperature as 66.8? Are you overclocking the cpu? is it at full load?

I got that info from Intel's official site. That's the processor without being overclocked. It's max CPU temp is 66.8 according to their data sheet.

Dan92

I will say this one more time, please listen as It will save you a huge amount of money and loose you no performance.

You say you went for the 4960x, I mentioned earlier that no reason existed to do that. They performance gain of the 4960k over the 4930k is about 3% for over £300 spent, that's crazy. considering you could easily (very easily in act) get away with the quadcore option. You are really focused on the CPU far far too much, as I have pointed out several times and you seemed to agree with.

The temps you are seeing is, according to the intel website, the maximum temps at the heat spreader (the metal casing of the chip) the safe temps for the chip itself will probably be 100oc like the rest of the intel line up. Putting that chip into a laptop is going to create high temps, no way round it. But no higher than any other desktop chip.

I suspect you will regret some of your choices when you do finally take delivery for reasons previously discussed, namely heat and noise.

I'm going to take your advice then and amend my order but i hope your right, i did do a comparison with both processors using cpuboss.
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4960X-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4930K.

New Specs.
Chassis & Display Omega: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor Extreme i7-4960X (3.6GHz) 15MB Cache
Change to: Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-4930K (3.4GHz) 12MB Cache
Memory (RAM) 32GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 2 x AMD® Radeon® R9 M290X - 4GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - Hard Disk 1TB SEAGATE HYBRID GEN3 SSHD Drive, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (5400 rpm)
2nd Hard Disk NONE
3rd Hard Disk NONE
RAID NONE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 6x BLURAY WRITER, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card ASUS™ XONAR-U7 Compact 7.1 USB soundcard and headphone amplifier
Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1202 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0
Wireless Router/HomePlugs NONE
USB Options 4 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Firewire 1 X 1394b FIREWIRE PORT
Battery Omega Series 78.44WH Lithium Ion Battery
Power Lead & Adaptor 2 x UK Power Lead & 2 x 330W AC Adaptor + SLi Adaptor
Operating System Genuine Windows 8.1 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media Windows 8.1 (64-bit) Professional DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software Microsoft® Office Home & Student 2013 (1 License & Disc)
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Laptop Cooling Stands Zalman ZM-NC3500 Ultra-Quiet Laptop Cooler, up to17.3 inch
Carry Case NONE
Stand-Alone Monitor NONE
Keyboard Language INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Additional Keyboard NONE
Notebook Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Gaming Mouse Pad NONE
External Speakers NONE
Webcam INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Headsets NONE
Surge Protection NONE
Printer NONE
External Hard Drive NONE
Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Home Installation NONE
Dead Pixel Guarantee 1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs
Insurance 1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Data Recovery NONE
Delivery PCS EXTRA-CARE DIAMOND DELIVERY - MON-FRI, PRE-10AM
Build Time FAST TRACK 3 WORKING DAY DISPATCH
Pricing Information
Price (excluding VAT) £2,521.67
Price £3,026.00
Order Quantity 1
Bulk Discount £0.00
Total Order price (Ex VAT) £2,521.67
Total Order Price £3,026.00
P/O Number - Edit P/O Number
Payment Method Debit Card
Delivery Details - Edit
Production Dates
Processed Date 05-03-2014
Build Date 06-03-2014
Who Worked on This Order?
Built By Harry Walker

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
if the specs above are the amended spec, then nothing changed. Probably because your system is already built, due to the 3 day fast track? You can still change it, but will probably mess up the fast track and cause you a financial cost to downgrade the CPU, but will still save you money.

I have been going on and on about how little the CPU matters for about 4 pages now, not sure how much clearer I can make it. Nobody in the desktop gaming scene bothers about getting a quadcore i5 for gaming. The 4930k is miles faster than even a quadcore i7 so it's impossible for it to be too slow for gaming. I'm trying to explain why im so confident about this but I don't know how to say it any differently...

Dan92

if the specs above are the amended spec, then nothing changed. Probably because your system is already built, due to the 3 day fast track? You can still change it, but will probably mess up the fast track and cause you a financial cost to downgrade the CPU, but will still save you money.

I have been going on and on about how little the CPU matters for about 4 pages now, not sure how much clearer I can make it. Nobody in the desktop gaming scene bothers about getting a quadcore i5 for gaming. The 4930k is miles faster than even a quadcore i7 so it's impossible for it to be too slow for gaming. I'm trying to explain why im so confident about this but I don't know how to say it any differently...

Don't worry i understand perfectly, i went in blindly just maxing everything out i didn't i could save until i read more into it. I did however change my spec just it's hard to see.

"Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor Extreme i7-4960X (3.6GHz) 15MB Cache
Change to: Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-4930K (3.4GHz) 12MB Cache"

So yeah i have amended my order and thanks for your advice. I also spoke to a friend and said if i really still want the performance of the 4960x i can easily overclock the 4930k providing i'm careful and use Intel "tweaking" utility as well as using a cooler mat which i have also ordered. My order should arrive Tuesday next week so i will definitely post some pictures and specs and reviews here or i'll link everyone to a new page.

Again many thanks :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I wouldn't advice in overclocking in a laptop, I don't think a laptop matt would make a significant difference when overclocking.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
You certainly won't be overclocking that CPU in a laptop chassis, but you will not need to. Using a laptop cooler to help you overclock the cpu bwould be like trying to use a desk fan to cool you down from a separate room