Optimus II shutting down while gaming

cb1173

Silver Level Poster
HI all,
I have an Optimus II , that is about 10 months old, this weekend while gaming, after about 1hour it will turn off without warning.
It did this once on Saturday (i then played for another couple of hours with no problem) and twice tonight, about 1 hour ago and then just now.
I have
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2630QM
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
4GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 4GB)
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

My temps at about the time of the latest shutdown were not to high
CPU=70 Deg C
GPU=62 Deg C

I have run a virus scan and maleware scan and there is nothing picked up

The event log shows nothing of the shutdown but when restarting i get the 'Windows did not shut down correctly' message.

I cannot see any reason for these shutdown and am looking for any advice as to what it may be.
Many thanks
Chris Brewer

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Although the temps look all right,still might be worth giving the laptop a clean,
if you haven't already done so.

cb1173

Silver Level Poster
Hi, thanks for the reply. I do a monthly maintenance of cleaning fans which is why my temps are fine, i have checked today and all is clear, is there any diagnostic tools i could use that might show up a problem that could be causing this?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
The next time it happens,have a look in event viewer.
Go to control panel(All control panel items)/performance information and tools/click advanced tools on the left hand side/view performance details in event log.
this will take you to diagnostics-performance & boot /shut down events.
Check events corresponding to the time of the failed shut down,
If nothing obvious showing there,at the top of the tree on the left hand side,click on custom views/administrative events.
It may or may not give a clue to the problem,but worth a try.

Last edited:

Adli

Enthusiast
Hi, thanks for the reply. I do a monthly maintenance of cleaning fans which is why my temps are fine, i have checked today and all is clear, is there any diagnostic tools i could use that might show up a problem that could be causing this?

memcheck? you might have faulty RAM.

cb1173

Silver Level Poster
Thanks, i have run memory diagnostic and found no errors. Think i might have to give pcs a ring, there is nothing in the log relating to the time of the shutdown but there is a quite a few entries there that i have no idea what they mean, with entries after i restarted the laptop.
Also i have 11 disk errors logged today.

Adli

Enthusiast
if its 10 months old it should still be covered if you chose Silver/Gold warranty. talk to PCS and request an RMA if you can't fix it with the help of tech support :)

cb1173

Silver Level Poster
yeah, i went for the silver, hoping they can sort it through remote access though. Cant be without a laptop, its worse than giving up smoking

cb1173

Silver Level Poster
Thanks for all the replies, spoke to pcs about this and a few other little problems i have and it seems as though the hard drive is on its way out. Sending me a new one so fingers crossed.