Optimus IV won't start

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Edit: If you read my earlier post on here I've changed it!

I now know that I have a display problem with my Optimus IV. We went out last night and left it running, when I came back it was switched off. I noticed the mains power lead had pulled out of the power brick so I assumed it had shutdown because of a flat battery. But When I reconnected the power it wouldn't start. I left it on charge all night, the green "battery charged" light was on this morning but it still wouldn't start.

I've now discovered that Windows is booting, I can hear Skype start after logging in, so my problem is no display. The backlight is on but I get no splash screen on boot and no display of any kind.

As I said it failed whilst we were out so I've no idea how it failed. It's been as good as gold though, no hint of a problem. It's not been off the boat for weeks and has just be sitting on the cooler pad plugged in. I rarely close the lid so I doubt it's a damaged ribbon cable. I realy can't explain how the display could just fail like that.

Any suggestions of what to look for and where to look?

Edit: With the VGA cable plugged into the TV I can see the display on the TV and all works ok there but still no display on the laptop screen.

So what should I look for?

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Does look like either a new screen could be required or it might possibly be a faulty inverter.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Does look like either a new screen could be required or it might possibly be a faulty inverter.

I've fixed it (I hope)!

Almost as a last desperate attempt (having tried everything else I could think of) I pulled the connector from the screen to the motherboard and reseated it properly. I now have a working display. I guess the connector had come loose somehow? A month or two ago the laptop did fall about a foot onto a carpeted floor, it fell flat and not on an edge or corner and worked perfectly afterwards. I wonder whether the connector popped a little then and has been gradually easing out since?

Do you think this is likely to be a simple case of a poor connector or is this a symptom of something more serious? I know just enough about hardware to be dangerous and although it looks fixed to me I'd appreciate knowing whether it's permanently fixed or not.

:)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I've fixed it (I hope)!

Almost as a last desperate attempt (having tried everything else I could think of) I pulled the connector from the screen to the motherboard and reseated it properly. I now have a working display. I guess the connector had come loose somehow? A month or two ago the laptop did fall about a foot onto a carpeted floor, it fell flat and not on an edge or corner and worked perfectly afterwards. I wonder whether the connector popped a little then and has been gradually easing out since?

Do you think this is likely to be a simple case of a poor connector or is this a symptom of something more serious? I know just enough about hardware to be dangerous and although it looks fixed to me I'd appreciate knowing whether it's permanently fixed or not.

:)
I would think that's probably fixed it as it proves the screen and inverter must be okay.