OptimusV 13.3" headphone jack not working

Doggie52

Dear all,

My OptimusV 13.3" laptop arrived a few days ago and was initially working perfectly fine, headphone jack included. At that stage I didn't even have any specific audio drivers installed, as I had installed a fresh version of Windows 8.1 after receiving the laptop.

I have no idea what triggered the jack to stop working -- the only thing I can think of is that I put the computer to sleep once. Other than that, I have done no significant changes other than installing a few programs. When I turned it back on again, I did not immediately check whether the headphones were working but I suspect the jack stopped working after that, given that I have heard similar stories from others.

After having installed, uninstalled and installed the audio driver countless times, removing the audio device from Device Manager, installing again, etc, it still doesn't work. I am clueless as to what I should do at this stage. Any help would be appreciated. The only thing relevant to this issue that I haven't tried yet is, of course, reinstalling Windows. I would rather not need to do that.

Best,
Douglas

clane1

I've been having the same issue with my Optimus V 13.3".
I was watching a YouTube video with headphones and then I shut the laptop to go and do something, when I came back the headphones weren't playing anything but Windows was registering that sound was being output through them.

This has happened a few times. One way of fixing it that has worked for me is to install the drivers that are recommended however that seems to also install some software. Attempting to uninstall the software will also delete the drivers.
Hopefully someone can point us to a download for JUST the drivers :/

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
AFAIK, it's a bug with the audio drivers/hardware. It is worked around by using the Clevo hotkey app by running InitHeadphone to re-enable the sound from suspend/hibernate.

I think raedwulf may be on the right track here. The Hotkey driver is involved in a fair bit of the Windows-hardware interface on Clevo laptops. If you don't have it installed then download it from the Clevo website here, you'll need the Clevo model number for that - it's on a label on the bottom. Whilst you're there download the audio driver too and use that one.

Doggie52

That does fix it, yes! Thank you very much for the help. This should be made more clear to everyone. Hotkey drivers are easy to ignore as they often, with other manufacturers, introduce more problems than they fix.. Happy that isn't the case here ;)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That does fix it, yes! Thank you very much for the help. This should be made more clear to everyone. Hotkey drivers are easy to ignore as they often, with other manufacturers, introduce more problems than they fix.. Happy that isn't the case here ;)

Glad it's sorted. raedwulf deserves some +rep if you haven't done so already. :)

Doggie52

Hello again,

I've now noticed that when plugging in my headphones, the volume doesn't change automatically, like it always did before and like it really should do on laptops these days. I figure it has to do with the drivers that I've installed and their lack of functionality, simply put. Is there a workaround that you guys are aware of that would work to get this functionality back?

akist

AFAIK, it's a bug with the audio drivers/hardware. It is worked around by using the Clevo hotkey app by running InitHeadphone to re-enable the sound from suspend/hibernate.

Would you know if the same bug with the drivers also makes the headphone jack start to buzz very loudly in the same circumstances (sometime after sleep ) etc? I get these buzzing sounds sometime after sleep (sometimes hours) very very often, but only once did the jack stop working even though Windows was registering sound.

1) loud buzzing sounds sometimes after sleep - a few hours into sleep.
2) loud buzzing sounds in shutdown - goes away if you unplug the power connector from the back
3) loud buzzing sounds remain while powering on and go away as soon as Windows start to load past the BIOS logo screen

raedwulf

Would you know if the same bug with the drivers also makes the headphone jack start to buzz very loudly in the same circumstances (sometime after sleep ) etc? I get these buzzing sounds sometime after sleep (sometimes hours) very very often, but only once did the jack stop working even though Windows was registering sound.

1) loud buzzing sounds sometimes after sleep - a few hours into sleep.
2) loud buzzing sounds in shutdown - goes away if you unplug the power connector from the back
3) loud buzzing sounds remain while powering on and go away as soon as Windows start to load past the BIOS logo screen

I don't get this problem (but I'm on Linux mostly with different drivers) and I'm not 100% certain - but maybe.

Does the problem go away if you use the hotkey app (basically it correctly sets some correct parameters on the audio chipset that don't get done by the drivers)?

With some educated guessing, the audio controller has a number of devices on the motherboard, and the sleep process disables some of them to save power, and the waking up process needs to wake them up again. As the waking up process isn't complete/correct, some of these devices could remain in a disabled state. In which, you could have noise instead... But this is all speculation because I don't know how the drivers interact with the audio chipset.