Out of memory error

richelmes

Hi,

I have an Optimus V laptop with 8gb ram.

I am getting an "Out of memory" error when playing games occasionally, it exits the game automatically back to desktop. When I check how much free memory I have, it's saying around 6gb. Surely this is enough to run a game?

Has anyone else had this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

steaky360

Does it only happen with one particular game? Or is it a few games so far?

Might be worth running memtest to see if any errors come up.http://www.memtest.org/

EDIT: Never considered it could've been due to HDD/SSD space :) As Vanthus suggested below, what's your HDD/SSD space like?

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Out of memory errors can also be caused by lack of hard drive or SSD space,It's possible that if little or no disk space is available that the computer swap file cannot expand in size as needed.

richelmes

Thanks for the replies.

I have not had the laptop long and only have a few programs and games on so don't think its a hard drive issue. It's a 1tb HD btw

I will run memtest and report back.

Last edited:

Slawek

Update your graphics drivers and check the pagefile size. You have 8GB RAM, make sure you have atleast 12 GB free on your primary disk. Since you have 8 GB ram, you could set your pagefile to 2048-4096MB, no need for more unless you are running CAD, Photoshop or any other memory hogging applications. If you have an SSD check your windows logs under system if you have any errors related to iastor.sys, if you do then your ssd is most likely broken and that can also cause these "out of memory" issues. If you know who is the manufacturer of the SSD, then you can download their diagnostics software to see if you get any errors.
Do you get any other errors or bluescreens?
Do you have an Intel Wifi card? Microsoft released some updates reacently that screwed up a lot of Intel Wlan cards and caused computers to show a lot of different weird error messages and even made a lot of computers to get bluescreens.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor