Overclocking Failed

Miracle362

I have this problem since I updated the BIOS, everytime I manually Shut Down my computer, the next time I press the button to turn on, it firstly appears nothing, not connected to monitor and keyboard, then I hold down the power button and switch it off, and turn on again, this time it appears overclocking failed, telling me to go to the BIOS and re-configure my settings, I went to the BIOS change NOTHING, Save and Exit or Exit without saving, then it will boot the OS normally, it doesn't appear overclocking failed when I just restart the computer, it only does when I fully Shut Down the computer.

I'm using Asus P8P67 Pro, BIOS version 1204.
Intel i5-2500K running at 4.6GHz, OC settings from PCS.
Please help.

DSN

Enthusiast
i would say pop the volts up a little bit.

pre 1204 i could run 5.2 @ 1.375

now on 1204 it takes 1.385 for the same clock.

I think they have made some changes to the accuracy of the voltage settings in the BIOS.

Gorman

Author Level
The overclock may need tweaking a bit more, give us a shout on 0844 499 4000 for guidance.

pengipete

Rising Star
Don't discount the possibility that it's not actually related to the overclock. Asus motherboards seem to show that message after a problem if anything is "overclocked" - including just setting XMP - and I suspect the board just checks for an overclock rather than actually determining the cause of the problem.

Miracle362

Turned the speed down to 4300mhz and it's perfectly fine now but I had another question, is my pc running at 1600mhz sometimes jump to 4300mhz and always stay 4300mhz when I run a game or stress test. Already disabled EIST and C1E.

DSN

Enthusiast
Sounds like you have been fiddling with the overclock to me.

Everythign you do changes the stability and the voltage requirements of your clock.

Set it back to the clock that OCUK gave it to you wish and see if it goes stable.

pengipete - that used to be the case. now it should only show that message after a power on where it fails to make it to a bios with fresh settings.

Miracle362

my DRAM can not work at 1600MHz with 1.6500V, it works fine at 1333MHz with 1.6500V, should I turn the voltage higher if I want to run 1600MHz (Tried 1.68V and still fail), or it is already too high?

Shocks

I have exactly the same issue as the op. Same Mb but the i7 chip. If you work out how to resolve it please post it here. And no DSN I haven't been fiddling with the OC......

Miracle362

found out, the bios version i got DDR3 running 1600mhz stable is 1253, but i checked the asus website, the latest version is 1024, idk y my MB have 1253 in the first time...

Last edited:

Miracle362

just found out, theres DRAM SPD info in the 'Tool' section, you should take a look at it, see if theres any settings for 1600MHz, I saw mine, but still going to call PCS before I made any changes.

Shocks

seems like i was premature I have revised settings from PCS but the OC fails at boot still. I exit the bios and it boots fine. The OC seems to work given the number it has been driving through CPU-Z and the benchmark results from cinebench. Its all beyond me I afraid

pengipete

Rising Star
Sounds like you have been fiddling with the overclock to me.

pengipete - that used to be the case. now it should only show that message after a power on where it fails to make it to a bios with fresh settings.

'fraid not - my PC has been overclocked without any adjustments for a few months and I was able to produce an overclock failed message just by pressing the reset switch mid way through POST - nothing at all to do with any overclocks.

Apart from that, looking back to the OP's first post, he says that the problems started after he updated BIOS. My money's on a simple cure - reset CMOS and then re-input the BIOS settings.

silkysean

Bronze Level Poster
I have exactly the same problem. PC came today and would not start up correctly. Keeps saying 'overclock failed'. HELP!!

pengipete

Rising Star
I have exactly the same problem. PC came today and would not start up correctly. Keeps saying 'overclock failed'. HELP!!

Love to - but not until you give us some information about your PC:)

Did you buy a pre-overclocked PC and what motherboard you are using.

If it was pre-overclocked, there are certain things we can't try immediately because you could lose the overclock settings. Knowing which motherboard will help us tell you exactly what to do if you need to adjust anything in BIOS - far better than having to guess or tell you to look for "something like..."

Chances are we can sort this really quickly and easily - it's usually just a matter of pressing a couple of keys and rebooting - post back and we'll have a look.

silkysean

Bronze Level Poster
Love to - but not until you give us some information about your PC:)

Did you buy a pre-overclocked PC and what motherboard you are using.

If it was pre-overclocked, there are certain things we can't try immediately because you could lose the overclock settings. Knowing which motherboard will help us tell you exactly what to do if you need to adjust anything in BIOS - far better than having to guess or tell you to look for "something like..."

Chances are we can sort this really quickly and easily - it's usually just a matter of pressing a couple of keys and rebooting - post back and we'll have a look.

Of course. It's the Asus P8P67 Deluxe with the overclocked i7 2600k. With 16GB of 1600MHz RAM. These are the settings you've added to my order page, and I can confirm that they match the bios settings.

AI Overclock Tuner: manual
BLCK Freq: 100.00
Turbo Ratio: enabled (all cores)
By All Cores: 46
Internal PLL OverVoltage: enabled
Mem Freq: 1600MHz
EPU Power Saving: disabled
Load-Line Calibration: extreme mode
VRM Freq: auto
Phase Control: extreme
Duty Contorl: extreme
CPU Current Capability: 110%
CPU OverVoltage: manual mode
CPU Manual Voltage: 1.40V
DRAM Voltage: 1.650V
VCCSA Voltage: 1.1250V
VCCIO Voltage: 1.150V
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.81250V
PCH Voltage: auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: disabled
CPU Ratio: auto
Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: enabled
Intel Virtualization: disabled
Intel SpeedStep: enabled
Turbo Mode: enabled
CPU C1E: disabled

I'm a little concerned about how high the cpu manual voltage is though. I've heard these chips shouldn't go above 1.35?

Shocks

i have seen some postings that it can be sorted by resetting the cmos. Also that it relates to ram voltage. There are lots of posts about it anyway. search on asus p8p76 cold boot

silkysean

Bronze Level Poster
I found a quick fix in 'enabling power on pcie' in the bios settings. But apparently a new bios is out on Monday that will fix the problem properly.

pengipete

Rising Star
Start the PC. When the POST stalls and you set the "Overclock Failed" message, press the "F1" key - that will take you into BIOS. Don't change anything, just press the "F10" key to save and exit and the PC will reboot. See if that works and post back. (If it doesn't help, try re-seating the ram and check that nothing else is lose - it can happen in transit)

Regarding the voltage - I couldn't say if it's too high as Intel's specs don't actually specify a maximum in such simple terms (bless their cotton socks) and I've read all sorts of claims varying from 1.36 to 1.52V. What I can say - and I think you are thinking the same thing - is that there are a lot of people claiming huge, stable overclocks at around 1.35V. On that basis, I'd be tempted to give PCS a ring or drop them an email - just in case - unless you want to try lowering it yourself and seeing how low you can go before you get problems. (I don't know what rules PCS apply to pre-overclocked systems so make sure you aren't risking any part of your warranty or free support before changing any overclock settings)

Last edited: