Overclocking not been done :(

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Hi guys

Well......after my very positive review that I did on here the other day I have been away a bit and unable to use the pc, came back today and thought to check the overclock you guys did and downloaded cpu-z and hwmonitor. PC is brilliant, the games i have used so far would not require an overclock or anything, and have run great, but I was slightly worried it hadnt been done so checked and was maybe needing one for some CPU intensive games such as ARMA2 etc.

Doesnt look like any overclock has been done. I asked for this to be done on the order and assumed that it had been picked up but must have been missed even though on the order notes it looks like it was requested to have been done your end. It ws an emended order so this is why it may have been missed i suppose, but i sent an email to confirm that you did this. I did think it was strange i got no overclock settings and so emailed and got sent the settings for my machine. However, looking at bios and indeed a cpu-z result shows they havent been done; cpu-z reads under prime95 stress test 3.4ghz maximum and bios shows voltage has not been changed or multiplier.

Can I phone up and do this over the phone with one of your tech guys and then test on prime95 or something myself for stability or do you have settings that you know would work? I have done gpu overclocks in the past but never a cpu overclock. Seems easy but some advice would be good. Any idea why this was missed too? :(

Would not alter my opinion of the PC is anyway, and is no problem at all....just want to get this done as per the order 380274

From order:

Monday 7th March @ 12:02 pm

Completed
Task Type:
General Request
Entrant:
Matthew Griffin
Order Number:
Task:
Please set this to an overclocked system Max 4.6Ghz.

This task was requested by Matthew Griffin for Garnet Heller

Cheers

Pete

JSG10

Expert
Have you checked in the bios under profiles? The settings might well be saved in there and all you have to do is load them up

NilSatis

Bright Spark
yeh checked mate.....nothing there. No saved OC bios profiles. Was gonna do something myself, but thought it best not to! Its not a problem at all but would appreciate some on the phone help potentially lol! :)

JSG10

Expert
You given them a call? Be best to do it over the phone through the official channels as the forums, although fantastic, aren't an official support outlet and if you follow advice on here you do so at your own risk ;-)
Give them a call tomorrow if you can and see what they say :)

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Yeh; I thought that might be the best bet, but just wondered if I had missed something obvious....although like you say the only thing that I thought they might have done was put the overclock on a saved profile. Cheers, will call them tomorrow at some point and get this all checked out. Just was hoping that the overclock and then the obvious stability testing etc would have been done so a bit gutted about that lol. But this way I may be able to do it over the phone, then test and be more knowledgeable re overclocking cpus although from what i have read not much to it on these new sandy bridge cpus. :)

Gorman

Author Level
It is entirely possible the amendment was just missed, a mistake like that is quite possible. As you suggest I would give us a call and one of the guys will be able to talk you through it.

Oops. Sorry about that :oops:

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Lol no worries at all mate....will phone up in the morning and hopefully someone can talk me through it while i bios change; and then I can test :)

Cheers for the reply....

Pete

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Phoned PCS up today and they went through it all with me after apologising for forgetting it; I was then able to edit the bios with their blessing, and settings, and was left with a very stable overclock of 4.6ghz running off 1.35v Vcore. Happy days. They even emailed me the settings that they recommended and after phoning back up offered some revised settings to further lower the voltage and still keep it stable. :smartass:

Have confirmed it all works ok by trying Prime95, leaving it on for a few hours with no errors; and then running Heaven 2.5 benchmark at the same time as Prime95 in repeat loops for a good 2 hours. No errors; and a decent overclock. Max temp of the cpu was 64C; at first I read hwmonitor wrong and got 75C as a maximum...dropping to 70C which I thought was a bit hot...until i realised that was the Radeon lol which is understandable after several runs of heaven and prime95.

Im certain it could do more, but am going to leave it on the settings suggested as there is no need to do anything else; as it is rapid when it needs to be and then kicks down to 1.6ghz at idle. I have also saved it to a profile in case i feel the strange and irrational desire to want the stock clocks back. Which arent exactly :wheelchair: either.

I then played Crysis on maximum settings on the highest resolution possible for the rest of the evening and made some monster cpu/gpu process work....just to erm test it again. Not for enjoyment...er....yeh. Runs excellently with the latest patch, some visual mods, and maximum settings for me on the (stable) catalyst drivers 11.2.

I am loving this Powercolour 6950 2GB :eek:fftopic: which has handled everything I have thrown at it so far without a slowdown to be seen, nor the hint of an overclock. I can even play 1920x1080 with vsync on Crysis on maximum settings with no stutter. Crysis 2should be easy lol!

Thanks for your help today PCS.

liamnic2

Super Star
If I buy an overlcocked PC from PCS. Do I have to make any changes in the bios or is that already done, because I know nothing about overclocking and etc..

Gorman

Author Level
If I buy an overlcocked PC from PCS. Do I have to make any changes in the bios or is that already done, because I know nothing about overclocking and etc..

It is already done if purchasing an overclocked machine, barring the example above where it was missed.