Overclocking warrenty

liamnic2

Super Star
Hey guys

I have just been told from a close friend that buying overclocked PC's is a rip off and it will break in the first year.

I just wanted to know if, after 4 years, will PCS repair my PC if I pay charges.
I dont plan to buy a new PC for a looooooooooooong time. I figured that I can just upgrade the graphics card when I cant play games anymore.

Also, will PCS repair or replace any hardware if its old ? I.e will they replace an i7 2600k in 4 years ?

Hopefully games wont be too CPU independent in the future. They will probably be 6-9 cores with 12-16 threads @ 5Ghz lol

Fear

Prolific Poster
As far as i am aware the maximum cover they provide is the 3 year platinum warranty.

If you are overclocking that will reduce the lifespan of the CPU so if you want it to last as long as possible i would suggest just getting a stock clock.

LFFPicard

Godlike
Not really,

The problem is as with most technology based warranty's by the end of 3years the parts may not even be available any more and it will be very hard to suitably replace the faulty parts without customers throwing abuse about the parts they are offered.

The warranty states something along the lines of. If a part is faulty and no longer stocked a suitable replacement of equal performance will be sources and used.

So.. In 3 years you cannot expect your GTX580 to be raplced with a GTX790 for example.. the performance is too great, you will be givin something of equal performance.

The other sid eof the argument is, "I paid £400 for my graphics card why are you offering me a £80 card as a replacement" - Well again, this is 3years down the line.. a GTX580 in 3years may only be worth £80 or a card of similar performance will only be worth £80 so that is what you are offered.

So in a nutshell, longer warranty's are really not very feasable as it will become harder to source appropriate replacements and please the customer at the same time.

----

To answer your other question, it is true that overclocking will reduce the lifespan of the processor so if you intend to keep it for a long time it is not advisable.
On the other hand I have a overclocked Q6600 for 3years with no issues, recently sold it and a friend has it overclocked again and it is still going.

PaulH

Bright Spark
3 year warranty IS extended, standard warranty is 1 year.

Regarding overclocking, yes it reduces the CPU lifespan, however, the PC will be dead before this even comes into effect i.e starts off with a 15 year lifespan, overclocking might drop that to 10 Years.

As above, you will find that nobody offers more than a 3 year warranty.

Tracker

Enthusiast
I know that PCS have the best warrenty for price.
The £5 warrenty at PCS is £70 at cyberpower !!!

That £5 means you get a year of "collect and return"(e.g you don't pay to return it, pcs will), not a month, you have a 1 year parts /labour warranty whether you pay £5 or not and this only extends with the 2 year "gold" warranty or the 3 year "platinum".