P67 Vs Z68 Without SLI

MeveM

Bright Spark
My gaming rig seen in my signature is what I'm still altering, and it's more or less 100% sure on my choices, done a lot of research but I can't quite decide on the motherboard.

PC is gonna be used for gaming, and I have no intentions what so ever to use more then a single GPU, so with that in mind, is there any point in choosing the Z68-V motherboard over the P67? I can't figure out what the difference is other then that the Z68-V offers the option of running 2 GPU's.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Well z68 is the newer chipset, it also offers things like the SSD caching if this is of interest to you, along with a few other features. To be honest both boards are very good, but if like me you just like new things then go for the newer chipset :D lol

MeveM

Bright Spark
If you ever wanted to add a SSD for a caching drive you would have to go for a the z68. if not then the p67 will be fine.

Here's the asus site for the z68 - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V/

Here's the asus site for the p8p67 - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P67/

Not sure if you have read them, might be a interesting read, and allow you to compare the two closely.

Tom

I hate read them, but I'm not that great at knowing what is what, I know the basics about PC's but nothing into too much detail, motherboards is something I know very little about.

As for SSD cache'ing, the research I've done has given me the impression that the difference in gaming is hardly noticable and I've watched some booting videos with the SSD cache starting and shutting down windows about 2-4 seconds faster then normal, so like I said in a previous post, those seconds would be just about enough to pull your pants up before the wife catches you, not much else.

So basically, no, I doubt I'll be using a SSD (At least not in this PC, maybe my next will have it when prices are lower in 4+ years.)

I'm not going to SLI.

So there's no actual "performance" difference? Don't even know if motherboards offer any form of performance or just gives you the option to add things into it which does, I'm guessing the 2nd.

However that said, will the motherboard support a newer GPU say 2-4 years down the line. It's only the processor that can bottleneck a newer GPU isn't it? Motherboards don't contribute to that?

Meh, I'm making myself sound like a complete novice, but at least I admit I don't know stuff in detail, trying to get my head around it though!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
To be honest i don't know a great deal about motherboards, but the reason i chose the z68 was because of the SSD caching, as i couldn't afford a larger one for the OS. So i went for a 60gb ocz with the intentions of setting up a cache.

If you want to know more about my experience with SSD caching have a read of my review in the show off you pc section. I can't comment if there is a difference in speed with caching, however, I'm sure there will be. But there is a massive difference between having a SSD for the OS and a caviar black HDD. The SSD was considerably faster and quieter.

I think that you will be fine with the P8pP67, they are all good quality motherboards.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Last edited: