packet loss

jcuk

Bronze Level Poster
Been plagued with high packet loss ever since i went with sky broadband, it is really bad to the point where i cant play online at anytime, even low peak times its rubbish, im contracted for a year and it wont end until next march, any of you guys *including pcs team* :) have any suggestions to get a decent game?

Ive got a sky router, wired to main broadband socket n all filter have been replaved with no luck...

Gorman

Author Level
My first port of call would to be try and isolate wether the problem starts immediately after the wan connection on your router or further down the line.

Try and find the ip of your game server and open up cmd, type tracert 000.000.000.000 (IP of server / host) and see what comes up.

For each hop open up a new cmd window and ping that address with the /t switch, the one that drops packets is the hop causing problems. If its outside your house which it most likely will be then im afraid you cant really do much barring complain to sky and maybe get them to swap out your router which probably wont do much.

jcuk

Bronze Level Poster
Well its an online game ive played for years and i used to have BT and it was great. So it must be either the router or sky, i will have to phone them and "complain" lol

Anyone else on sky and get this?

Zeplini

as gorman said run some tracert's to various websites and gaming servers this will build a bigger picture to where things are going wrong ;)

Rakk

The Awesome
Is it just packet loss or it is frequent disconnections (if its disconnections then you can definately rant at them about it and claim you're not getting the service you signed up for)?

Gorman

Author Level
as gorman said run some tracert's to various websites and gaming servers this will build a bigger picture to where things are going wrong ;)

Pretty much, being the internet the route will change a lot. If you can narrow it down to the first few hops then its Sky's fault and cause for complaint.

jcuk

Bronze Level Poster
I will try the trace route first and c whats happening, i do get disconnected alot from online games or the lag gets that bad that every 10 seconds it freezes.

Im away all weekend but ill give you's an update when i get back