PC crashes, day old

Case
ZALMAN Z11 PLUS BLACK MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-3770K (3.5GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z77-V LK: PCI-E 3.0 READY, SLI, CROSSFIREX
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (4 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 650 Ti - DVI, mHDMI, VGA - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE
Power Supply
450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
Processor Cooling
Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler (£19)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 8 Standard Edition 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

those are the specs

playing X-Com and League of Legends and my PC just crashes out of the blue.

what could be wrong?

I have installed League, X-Com, steam, chrome. and Skype

thanks for your help

Darrell

The graphics driver is up to date. I checked the GeForce web site last night.

Any other ideas. I'm thinking it is the graphics card myself because it only crashes during games.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Even if the driver is up to date a fresh install can sometimes solve the issue,if not best call tech support.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Ok. I will reinstall the drivers.
Make sure you select the option to do a clean install of the driver.
When you get the option during the install, select "custom install" and then make sure you check the box that says "clean install"this will remove your old drivers first before installing.
There's also a possibility you might be trying to play the games on settings that are too high for the card to handle.

Last edited:
Ok. Reinstalled and graphic settings down low. Not crashed since I dropped the settings in game. Did crash before I lowered them though.

thanks for the help

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Ok. Reinstalled and graphic settings down low. Not crashed since I dropped the settings in game. Did crash before I lowered them though.

thanks for the help
I'm not sure what the system requirements are for the games you are playing,it could be you're card should be able to play on higher settings,in which case it could point to the card overheating.
Might be worth checking that out.

How would I go about figuring out the temperature of my graphics card? Is there a test program I can run that will test the graphics to see how high it can handle?

Thanks again.

Blackdog

Bright Spark
How would I go about figuring out the temperature of my graphics card? Is there a test program I can run that will test the graphics to see how high it can handle?

again.

Loads of programs can do that for you. I use Razer's Game Booster,which (allegedy) sends more power to your game at the expense of other system tasks, but also shows cpu/gpu temperatures. Theres also things like core temp available here

http://core-temp.en.softonic.com/

Google your cpu/gpu for a good table of recommended temps.

*Edit* in games that are poorly optimised or where my gpu is struggling (i'm looking at you 2033) i also tend to do a quick google for the recommended specs with my card.

Last edited:

Blackdog

Bright Spark
so I have now tired a clean reinstall of the GeForce drivers and loaded the programs you have both suggested. The temp of the graphics card does not go above 45 degree celcius before the PC crashes.
I lowered the graphic settings to the lowest and it still crashes. According to the internet my card should have no issues running XCom enemy unknown.
I have played league of legends with no issues now.
My flat mate suggested I install the beta drivers from GeForce but that did not solve the problem
Thanks for your help.
Darrell

steaky360

Have you tried reinstalling xcom?

If you got it through Steam you could try verifying the game cache to see if any files are corrupt (it happens sometimes).