PC dead

Mark0

Well as I sit here my PC is boxed up and im waiting for DPD

I brought my pc from PCS 5 months ago , everything has been fine and working nicely until yesterday when I went to play BF3. I booted up my game but it froze and I could not get out of the game in anyway to get back to my desktop. I restarted my machine in safemode and then did a restart , I booted up BF3 again and then got a blue screen, started the machine up again and went into BF3 and the pc restarted itself but this time smoke started coming out of my pc case, a lot of it !!!!!! It frightened the life out of me and my wife.

Ive not tried overclocking its not something I would ever try and do anyway, all ive done since ive had my pc is add a case fan to the side panel which I did about 4 months ago. As far as I know the pc hasn't been running too hot my cpu temps have been about 40-45 idle which I dont think is too hot is it ??

My graphics card is certainly fried (its a GTX 580) as I can see at the end towards the front on top its got parts that seemed to have melted and its scorched, whats worrying me is the smoke that came out of the pc and what else might be damaged, I think the pc turned itself off just before I hit the mains so im not sure if the PSU is knackered as well. Im so disappointed I just don't understand why, I hope PCS will fix it ok

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Gutted dude

you are covered by warranty, so dont worry PCS will fix it :)

wht spec did ya have by the way?

Mark0

Intel® Core™ i7-3770K
ASUS® P8Z77-V
GTX 580
16 GIG Kingston Hyper
1TB WD Black
Corsair TX750

Im on my sons PC so at least im not without a machine, I dread to think how long it might take to fix it

Mark0

As can be seen by that thread there have been issues ive not been happy about, ive not bothered replying to that particular thread as obviously I set myself up to be shot down by people that frequent these boards regualary and feel that PCS can do no wrong. My whole point was I was told the card fried and that PCS don't stock them anymore and that I could have to wait up to 4 weeks. I was willing to pay whatever the difference was for a card they had in stock to get the RMA turned around but PCS are not willing to do this and told me I had to pay full price of another card which I felt was wrong.

Either way wrong or right we reached a compromise and a manager has assured me by using one of their other companies they can get a replacement card a lot quicker for which im very grateful. The PC is being returned so I can get some work done just using the onboard graphics and the card will be sent to me at a later date, I just hope and pray that nothing else was damaged on the PC and its been completely checked over because I cant for the life of me understand why the GPU smoked and blew like that, im scared to turn the thing on im going to be a bit apprehensive when putting the new card in if im honest, im sure PCS must check everything even when the graphics card blows like that ... I hope so lol

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I'm a regular on these forums & I sympathise with you,I myself had quite a few problems when I first got my PC,but PCS sorted everything out,which I'm sure they will do with you.I'm not being a fanboy when I say this,but PCS have the best customer support I've ever come across & I've dealt with quite a few companies. Unfortunately any electrical component can fail at any time,if you're not confident with installing the GPU, PCS will talk you through it over the phone,all will be well soon.:)

Last edited:

Buzz

Master
As can be seen by that thread there have been issues ive not been happy about, ive not bothered replying to that particular thread as obviously I set myself up to be shot down by people that frequent these boards regualary and feel that PCS can do no wrong. My whole point was I was told the card fried and that PCS don't stock them anymore and that I could have to wait up to 4 weeks. I was willing to pay whatever the difference was for a card they had in stock to get the RMA turned around but PCS are not willing to do this and told me I had to pay full price of another card which I felt was wrong.

Either way wrong or right we reached a compromise and a manager has assured me by using one of their other companies they can get a replacement card a lot quicker for which im very grateful. The PC is being returned so I can get some work done just using the onboard graphics and the card will be sent to me at a later date, I just hope and pray that nothing else was damaged on the PC and its been completely checked over because I cant for the life of me understand why the GPU smoked and blew like that, im scared to turn the thing on im going to be a bit apprehensive when putting the new card in if im honest, im sure PCS must check everything even when the graphics card blows like that ... I hope so lol

Just read back on that thread and there are 2 posters with over 500 posts, And my post didnt side with anyone. I sympathised with you. But just because I sympathised with you doesnt mean I felt you were correct to blame PCS either. I was personally replying according to what I read from your post and answered on those basis. If you had said PCS didnt bother to help you, or started shifting the blame somehow I would have had a different response. But they didn't, they where trying to help, from what I could see anyway. (correct me if I am wrong there)

I do not work for PCS, nor do I have any need whatsoever to side with them just because I use the forums. I dont see anyone (being a user of the forums) saying anything in that thread, I believe said for the sake of siding with PCS, or just because they felt they can "do no wrong". Of course they can do wrong, but when they do they at least try and resolve it to the best of their ability. More then I can say for a lot of other companies.