PC error

adator

Enthusiast
My new pc arrived today looks great, tried to start up and keep getting a error message it say's.

Install windows

The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.

Pressed ok several times but no luck had a look inside and cant see anything loose, not sure what to try next.

Thanks
Adam

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Could have been a sysprep failure,If you cant boot windows successfully
for whatever reason when you receive your machine,you need to do a clean install.
Pressing f8 with the OS disc inserted will bring you to the option to boot from dvd drive.
Instructions on how to do a clean install are given in the welcome booklet.

adator

Enthusiast
Do you know where the product key would be, cant find it anywhere on the windows case or booklet and cant find it in the box :/

adator

Enthusiast
Ok I am on and have installed the motherboard drivers and gpu but I can't get the wifi to work the motherboard I have is the asus p8z77-v if that helps. Getting a little bit annoyed having to try to sort out these problems that I thought would have been all sorted especially since I don't know that much about this sort of stuff but I suppose stuff does go wrong every now and again.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Check in device manager to see if anything is amiss.
What wireless card do you have,or do you mean integrated.
Have you attached the antennas.

Last edited:

adator

Enthusiast
Thanks vanthus Just found it after I put up message I should really think about things before I post I thought it was built in. Anyway I have installed windows 7 I know have two windows 7s when I start up it asks me to pick one if I just delete the old folder will it get rid of that, also I have installed all the driver disks is there anything else I need to do or is it all ready now.

Thanks again.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
You can safely delete the windows old folder from "Disk Cleanup".
Type Disk Cleanup in the search box then tick "previous windows installations" if you dont see this listed, do you have an option In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, "Clean up system files"
If so select that, If you're prompted to choose a drive, click the drive you installed Windows on, and then click OK.
You shouldn't really have 2 windows 7's on startup ,maybe you didn't delete the partitions when reinstalling,or have installed windows on another hard drive?
First check in "computer"you don't have have a duplicate windows os installed on another drive or partition
to remove a duplicate entry in the Windows Boot Configuration.
Click Start In the Search text box, type msconfig.
Go to the Boot tab/Select the boot entry you want to delete/Click the Delete button and then click OK.
be careful you delete the right one,the one you want to keep is usually the first one.
Make sure you are logged in to the Windows partition you want to keep so you don't delete the good installation by mistake.this may not apply in your case if it's just a duplicate entry in the boot configuration.

Last edited:

adator

Enthusiast
Ok I think I installed on same hard drive as its on the ssd and it said when I did it it would make a file windows7 old ect. I'm not sure what one to delete one is "windows 7 (c:windows) defualt" top one and the other "windows 7 (/windows) current" also for some reason the windows old folder is 12gb where as new is only 6 not sure why, also the new one says it was created in 2009 and old one today. confusing lol

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Ok I think I installed on same hard drive as its on the ssd and it said when I did it it would make a file windows7 old ect. I'm not sure what one to delete one is "windows 7 (c:windows) defualt" top one and the other "windows 7 (/windows) current" also for some reason the windows old folder is 12gb where as new is only 6 not sure why, also the new one says it was created in 2009 and old one today. confusing lol
Not sure what you've done.
To be honest I would start over and do another clean install,make sure you delete the partitions as instructed in the booklet,and you install on the SSD.You could also choose the "format" option during the install procedure.
Having said that you could first try deleting "windows default" boot as I don't think you can delete "current" anyway,and delete windows old folder as I described,not sure what you mean by windows "new" folder.

Last edited:

adator

Enthusiast
Ok I think I'm all sorted now I reinstalled windows and deleted the partitions seems to be working fine. I suppose at the very least I have learned how to do all of this if I ever get a problem in the future.

Thanks again for all the help.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Ok I think I'm all sorted now I reinstalled windows and deleted the partitions seems to be working fine. I suppose at the very least I have learned how to do all of this if I ever get a problem in the future.

Thanks again for all the help.
Good stuff.You asked earlier what to do after installing drivers.
I suggest you do this.
Activate windows if not already done.
Install antivirus program,then run windows update.
Be aware,if selected,you will have lost the free trial versions of microsoft office starter & bullguard antivirus after doing a clean install.
If you don't have an antivirus program,I would recommend you download and install microsoft security essentials,that's what I use,it's a very good and free antivirus program..
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

adator

Enthusiast
Thanks I have downloaded the free trial for bullguard off the internet and have just finished the windows updates. I will order a anti virus before the trial runs out and I will have a look at the one you mentioned.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Thanks I have downloaded the free trial for bullguard off the internet and have just finished the windows updates. I will order a anti virus before the trial runs out and I will have a look at the one you mentioned.
Excellent. :)

adator

Enthusiast
New problem, my internet is now saying its connected but no internet access sometimes I get this on my laptop but it means nothing else works i.e Ipad or other PC's as its a fault with broadband provider but everything else is working its just the desktop. I have tried to restore the back up image and that has not fixed the problem.

steaky360

Are you working off wireless? This occasionally happens to me too, it tends to right itself fairly quickly if it isn't a complete internet blackout :)

adator

Enthusiast
Yeah im using wireless been like this for a few hours now its weird that its only desktop as normally if this happens it happens to all wireless devices.