PC getting slower and frequently freezing.

SenoirMeow

Bronze Level Poster
My computer is currently struggling to even post this thread, moving at a snails pace only 2GB of 8GB being used to run Firefox, and only 10% processing power.

It goes at a snail's pace and wondering as to a solution to the problem. Any ideas? This has only happened recently, thanks in advance.

CPU: Intel 2700k @ stock
GPU: AMD 7970
PSU: Corsair 850w
HDD: 1TB .. dunno the brand. (it is worth to note I have used about 80~85% of the hard drive space)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Having 15% free on your hard drive shouldn't really slow down your computer.
The first thing I would try is disabling all but essential programs like anti-virus from "Startup" tab in "System Confifguration".
To open type msconfig in search box.
Also worth running malwarebytes and ccleaner,download from here.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Don't select the trial pro version of malwarebytes if offered.

Last edited:

SenoirMeow

Bronze Level Poster
Worst comes to worst I could always get a new hard drive or do a Windows 7 reinstall? Or even format my HDD? I assume the Hard Drive is the main issue here, or perhaps some sort of little virus bugger. Regardless, I'm still under warranty. So it should be ok.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Firstly it might be worth checking in the power options that under Processor Power Management your Maximum Processor State is set to 100%. If you're using only 10% CPU (and 25% of your RAM) it's not likely to be a virus or trojan.

What is your disk activity like? Is the disk access light on all the time? If it is then your problem is disk related (and that's very common). Have you defragged it lately? As vanthus says 15% free disk space isn't a problem per se, but if that space is fragmented all over the disk and if most of your files are fragmented too you'll get appalling disk performance and that will slow down everything.

Your best bet is to get hold of a good optimising defragger, I have used Ultimate Defrag for years, it's not free but neither is it expensive - especially considering it does exactly what it says on the tin. Ultimate Defrag will let you place your less active data on the slower inner tracks and your high performance data on the fast outer tracks (and defrag all the files as well of course). You can even place the system area (MFT and related files) in the best position for your data (close to the high performance data usually).

I would also suggest that before you do a defrag you consider archiving some of your little used data on to an external drive and free up a little more disk space. Whilst 15% free is not a problem it's always going to mean long seek times for some data, so stuff you don't use often (or at all) is best offline on an external drive.

Also run a chkdisk /f before you run any defrag tool (the Windows one or a third-party one) to be sure you have no filesystem errors. They are a common cause of poor performance too.

I used to work in system support in large mainframe installations where the last ounce of performance has to be wrung from the computer system. Disk performance is the single biggest performance problem in all computer systems, PCs and laptops included. If you imagine for example, that your CPU can execute one instruction per second, on the same scale it takes over a week to read a block of data off a hard disk. So anything you can do to improve disk access times makes a big difference to overall performance. Doing an optimised defrag is the best way to ensure minimum disk access times on a PC or laptop.

I hope that helps? :)

GlendaPeter

Most of the time, PC freezes & runs slow by lots of reasons. Corrupt registry, unnecessary applications, too many start-up items as well as virus infection would be the major reasons contributing to this problem. Many PC users simply utilize PC yet never consider how to maintain and optimize PC performance. I would suggest you to download any reliable program like am using RegInOut to avoid my PC from freezing its provides various features that making PC maintenance job easier.

Thanks

tom_gr7

Life Serving
i'd personally, go for a small 60/120gb ssd (cost about 50/80 quid) followed by a fresh install of windows.

I agree with what has been posted above, however an ssd will completely change the feel of your PC.

SenoirMeow

Bronze Level Poster
Firstly it might be worth checking in the power options that under Processor Power Management your Maximum Processor State is set to 100%. If you're using only 10% CPU (and 25% of your RAM) it's not likely to be a virus or trojan.

What is your disk activity like? Is the disk access light on all the time? If it is then your problem is disk related (and that's very common). Have you defragged it lately? As vanthus says 15% free disk space isn't a problem per se, but if that space is fragmented all over the disk and if most of your files are fragmented too you'll get appalling disk performance and that will slow down everything.

Your best bet is to get hold of a good optimising defragger, I have used Ultimate Defrag for years, it's not free but neither is it expensive - especially considering it does exactly what it says on the tin. Ultimate Defrag will let you place your less active data on the slower inner tracks and your high performance data on the fast outer tracks (and defrag all the files as well of course). You can even place the system area (MFT and related files) in the best position for your data (close to the high performance data usually).

I would also suggest that before you do a defrag you consider archiving some of your little used data on to an external drive and free up a little more disk space. Whilst 15% free is not a problem it's always going to mean long seek times for some data, so stuff you don't use often (or at all) is best offline on an external drive.

Also run a chkdisk /f before you run any defrag tool (the Windows one or a third-party one) to be sure you have no filesystem errors. They are a common cause of poor performance too.

I used to work in system support in large mainframe installations where the last ounce of performance has to be wrung from the computer system. Disk performance is the single biggest performance problem in all computer systems, PCs and laptops included. If you imagine for example, that your CPU can execute one instruction per second, on the same scale it takes over a week to read a block of data off a hard disk. So anything you can do to improve disk access times makes a big difference to overall performance. Doing an optimised defrag is the best way to ensure minimum disk access times on a PC or laptop.

I hope that helps? :)

I'll give it a go later today and let you know :) cheers