PC in for 1 month for repairs, did they even do anything?

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Hey, just an update.

I'm not sure if I'm getting the same problem or not. I just tried launching theHunter (http://www.thehunter.com/) and my computer locked up with black screens. Tried Alt-Tabbing, tried Ctrl-Alt-Del and nothing happened. It has only just happened this afternoon this few times. I tried a few things to see if I could get it to run, I had "EnableULPS" set to 0 so I could monitor GPU 2 temps and load in MSI Afterburner, though I've had this set to that since reinstalling windows so it shouldn't be the cause, I enabled it and tried launching and got the same issue.

I will also state that I played the game without issue for nearly 3 hours yesterday, so I do know the game works. The first time I tried playing today, I didn't get a crashed PC. Just black screens which I just Alt-Tabbed out of, then closed the game which wasn't responding. Then I tried launching a second time and got the black screens and PC lock up.

I then installed the latest GPU Drivers that have just released from AMD with no success. I then tried to remember the latest things I have installed to see if any could cause the issue. Only recent installs are PrimaryLock, which is just an application that locks the mouse to the main monitor (For games like New Vegas and Skyrim that don't lock it automatically). I know this isn't the cause as I didn't have it running at the time. The other thing was Nexus Mod Manager, which I was using to download some Mods for New Vegas, so I left it off for the second time but I still got the issue so I don't think that is cause.

Event files show a few things at the time:

Log Name: Application
Source:Application Hang
Date: 26/04/2014 11:54:32 AM
Event ID:1002
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
Description: The program chrome.exe version 34.0.1847.116 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: de0
Start Time: 01cf613babb0b077
Termination Time: 14
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
Report Id: 237b1630-cd31-11e3-9df1-10bf4885f005

Not sure if Google Chrome crashing could cause such an issue. Another thing to show up was:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 26/04/2014 11:59:08 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Description: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

One last thing:

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance
Date: 26/04/2014 11:37:50 AM
Event ID: 100
Task Category: Boot Performance Monitoring
Level: Critical
Description: Windows has started up:
Boot Duration: 122113ms
IsDegradation: false
Incident Time (UTC) : 2014‎-‎04‎-‎26T10:35:43.593600100Z

Not sure what this means myself. Nothing else that throws up a error or warning shows up at the time except a error about shut-down being unexpected. Anyone have any idea? I will just use the PC as normal and see if I get a similar issue with any other games. Or God forbid the weird line monitor problem that I was having for 3 months, and I only just fixed.

If you need more info about anything just ask.

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Do a system restore to when you last had a known working rig, that will give you a list of software installed since then. Take a note of it and see if the problem disappears, then after a few days work though that list one at a time until it re appears.

Really does seem like a software conflict here. I get a similar problem when I try to launch CUPID HW monitor... it just kills my PC. Also if I don't use the old version of the USB3 drivers for my USB 3 PCI card my system constantly crashes... The USB3 one took me ages to figure out, the HW monitor was slightly more obvious.

best bet is as described above see where that gets you.

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Well I was playing theHunter the other day completely fine, next day I got the problem. Like I said in the post, I only installed those two things.

However, this is irrelevant now it seems, as this morning my computer won't even boot. First time I tried turning it on everything seems normal, it beeped as usual. But it just switched off and rebooted, exept there was no beep, no sound at all. None of the components started up, only sound was like a small fan was on or something, not sure couldn't see anything spinning, and it just sat there.

I checked to see if there was any lights or flashing lights on inside, but the only one there was the one on the motherboard saying there was power.

When I tried to turn it off I couldn't, so I had to force it off from the PSU switch at the back. I will phone PCS later today about it.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
:(

Man, this really sucks for you. I hope PCS are able to be a little more understanding. I would be after a re-build by now :/

egorgeg

Enthusiast
:(

Man, this really sucks for you. I hope PCS are able to be a little more understanding. I would be after a re-build by now :/

It think it's what I'll be going for as well. Just can't be doing with all of this now. I only just got one problem fixed. Now I can't even turn it on.

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Just phoned PCS (phone lines are so much better now on the new system) and was told it's a PSU fault, and I'm going to get mine sent off to corsair for replacement.

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Yeah, person on the phone said it's a PSU fault. I was told to package it up and send it to them for them to get a replacement for it. I'm assuming the replacement will be free, but I will have to pay to send it to them, which I'm fine with.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Yeah, person on the phone said it's a PSU fault. I was told to package it up and send it to them for them to get a replacement for it. I'm assuming the replacement will be free, but I will have to pay to send it to them, which I'm fine with.

if you are within your years warranty yes it will be free.

I also had a faulty hx corsair psu a while back. I don't really rate corsair components, i don't think are made by corsair, but a cheap OEM with corsair slapped on it.

neways, hope you get it sorted asap mate.

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Okay new PSU arrived this morning, just got it installed and the computer booted without problems. Little confused by all of the wires but managed to get everything in nicely. One question about it though; My old PSU was a HX1050 and this one is a RM1000. What is the difference (Apart from the wattage)? Only difference I saw was on the old one it just had one huge cable going into a hole into the back. This one is all just plugged into the back of it.

Cheers. Hopefully this will be the last time I'm commenting on an issue with the PC.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
The HX and RM series offer slightly different features. According to the corsair site the RM is actually more expensive, the differences other than that are minimal, the RM series being full modular is one you already picked up one. The other main one being the RM series is marginally more efficient at lower loads. Basically if anything its an upgrade, hope it gets the problem sorted.

egorgeg

Enthusiast
That's nice. Yeah problem fixed, my computer is fine now. About that problem I had with that game before my PSU died, I will be trying it later tonight and see if I get a crash. Though would you say I should be good as a faulty PSU will cause a crash when loading up a game?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
A faulty PSU could cause a crash as the GPU starts putting it under load, absolutely it could... Only time will tell though, you've not had the best of luck so I'm wary of saying everything will be ok...

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Righto, I going to try it out later I think. And yes my luck has been abysmal, but all is looking up now I suppose. It's really strange being on my Computer and it's fine. It's been nearly 4 months of issues and problems.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Righto, I going to try it out later I think. And yes my luck has been abysmal, but all is looking up now I suppose. It's really strange being on my Computer and it's fine. It's been nearly 4 months of issues and problems.

I really feel for you. You seem to be one of the very tiny minority with a really nasty problem. The easiest problems to solve are those where something breaks and stays broken. But those problems where some part works but not quite up to spec and not quite all the time are an absolute nightmare to solve. Hopefully they've finally cracked the problem for you.

+rep to you for staying sane this long. :)

egorgeg

Enthusiast
I really feel for you. You seem to be one of the very tiny minority with a really nasty problem. The easiest problems to solve are those where something breaks and stays broken. But those problems where some part works but not quite up to spec and not quite all the time are an absolute nightmare to solve. Hopefully they've finally cracked the problem for you.

+rep to you for staying sane this long. :)

Lol thank you.

I think my issues are now sorted. But like you said, these problems just sit there and wait to pounce on me, so I cant be 100% sure. But so far all is good and I'm enjoying my PC again. Thanks to everyone who stuck with me and helped, really good people on these forums, I've never been on a forum that's been like this.

And of course PCS tech support are great, and helped with replacements.

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Just a quick update to confirm something. Before my PSU died I had an issue with theHunter. Where it crashed my Pc and black screened. I wondered if my PSU being faulty could cause that. But was unsure. I just started up the game just now with no crash and it's working fine. So all is good for now :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just a quick update to confirm something. Before my PSU died I had an issue with theHunter. Where it crashed my Pc and black screened. I wondered if my PSU being faulty could cause that. But was unsure. I just started up the game just now with no crash and it's working fine. So all is good for now :)

You sound like the man who jumped off a ten-story building. Every floor he passed on the way down the people inside heard him saying "so far, so good!"... :)