PC only boots in 'Safe mode'

Phube

My PC (Windows 7, 18 months old), froze on me whilst on Chrome. For better or worse I did a hard reset (pushed button on front of tower). Now it boots to the to the 'spinning dots windows symbol' then resets itself.
When it reboits again it lets you start in either safe modes or normal mode. On safe it works fine. On normal it just cycles around the same circle...

It's did give me the option to open with start up recovery, which i did to no avail...

Any help?

Sorry for any typo's, posted on Wii U

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
If you can boot into safemode it would point to a software issue,possibly a startup program/service or a corrupt driver.
You could try disabling drivers from "device manager" by right clicking on the device,main suspect being graphics driver,then see if the computer will boot normally.
To determine if a service or startup program is causing the problem,disable services and startup programs,from "system configuration" while in safe mode.
Click Start, and then type msconfig in the Search box.
Click msconfig in the search results,
Click the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear the Load Startup items check box.
Click the Services tab, select the Hide all Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
If the problem does not return while you restart the computer in normal mode, a background program or service is likely causing the problem. To try to determine which which one is causing the problem, selectively turn on services and Startup items that load with the Windows.
You can save time by disabling say,half the startup items then work from there.

Phube

Thanks for that vanthus, disabling my nVidia geforce 560ti enabled me start in normal mode... will update driver an see if this works.

Cheers

Phube

Well I downloaded the new driver... restarted after that install... and CRASH. Some problem again, disable the grphics card and fine.

Does this mean mine graphics card is dead? :(

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Did you select the clean install option when installing the driver,if not try that.

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Err... not sure what a 'Clean Install' is or how to go about it?
when installing driver you should have an option to clean install, you may need to select something like custom or advanced and check the box for clean install.

steaky360

If it is the graphics card you are likely to be still under warranty from the original manufacturer (even if your PCS warranty has ran out) - so if you contact the card producer (Asus, Palit, gainward, EVGA etc) they should be able to assist you with the graphics card or point you in the right direction for getting a fix.

In the meantime, if your motherboard has discrete graphics (if you don't know let me know what motherboard you have and I'll check) you should be able to test if its teh graphics card by unplugging it and booting your pc (if its the graphics card it should start no problems).

Phube

I believe it is an ASUS P8Z 68-V LX (according to the booklet in my PCS pack).

Oh, and I have and Intel i5 2500, don't they have onboard graphics too?

Last edited:

steaky360

Just checked ASUS website and your motherboard does indeed have on-board graphics so that might just be a worthwhile attempt (removing the graphics card and seeing if it boots).

Phube

I did remove it... and put in an old graphics card from an old (yet to be disposed PC) Runs like a dream...

It seems I have a poorly graphics card!

steaky360

If you get in touch with PCS they will tell you howe you can go about RMA'ing your graphics card (if you're still covered under either their warranty or the manufacturers warranty)