PC recommendations

chrisrs2292

HI, i'm looking at buying a new gaming pc to replace my current setup for a budget of between £1-2k. The idea of the setup is that it will be easily upgradeable in the future, hopefully lasting 3-4 years with minor upgrades along the way. The current setup i'm looking at is:

Case
ANTEC NINE HUNDRED TWO V3 - UK, The Ultimate Gaming Case, Evolved
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® P8P67 (NEW REV 3.0): USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, CrossFireX™
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
2GB AMD RADEON™ HD6950 - 2 DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB OCZ VERTEX 3 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 500MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£49)
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W TX SERIES (TX850) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£99)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium - Fatal1ty Professional Series (£99)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£109)

the sound card is unimportant, i usually just listen to music whilst i game. I also will be using a wired internet connection so wireless cards are unimportant. The 120gb SSD will be used primarily as a boot drive with perhaps 1-2 programs that i use regularly also installed. Another point is that in the 3-4 years i'd have the pc i would probably consider upgrading to 16gb ram along with either crossfire 6950's or a single better gpu. Any thoughts?

Fear

Prolific Poster
If your not going to get the CPU overclocked you can drop that k cpu as it's only needed for overclocking if you are overclocking yourself then be cafeful as you can void your warranty, if your as you say thinking of upgrading the GPU to Crossfire or Sli you might be best getting a 1000W PSU to cover yourself but in the meantime if you want the best single GPU it has to be the GTX 580.

Teaz

Godlike
There are very good points that Fear has made so I'll give a rundown on this spec you may want to consider:

Case
ANTEC NINE HUNDRED TWO V3 - UK, The Ultimate Gaming Case, Evolved

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7-2600 Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics As Fear mention the "K" isn't needed as it is just there for mainly overclocking purposes and it won't be needed when you game. They are just about the same except that the "K" just makes it easier to overclock.

Motherboard
ASUS® P8P67 PRO (NEW REV 3.0): USB 3.0/SATA 6Gb/s, CrossFireX™ & SLI SLI and Crossfire are both possible on this mb.

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB) 8GB ram is enough as 4GB alone is able to run the system smoothly so 16GB is abit overkill unless you plan to do intense usage with programs like photoshop. 1333Mhz is just needed as 1600Mhz are for overclocking most of the times and won't be much different in gaming.

Graphics Card
1.5GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 580 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - DX® 11, 3D Vision Ready Beastly card and is powerful enough to blast through any games. It's nicer to have the strong single gpu than a muli setup of gpu as 2 gpu while require you with a higher psu and runs up temps along with alot of draw power on the psu and wont be much big difference in gaming in real life wise. You can still SLI or crossfire with AMD in future but you will have to upgrade to a bigger psu.

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB OCZ VERTEX 3 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 500MB/sW)

2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£49)

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W PRO SERIES (HX750) 80+ MODULAR PSU (£110) This can be upgraded to a bigger psu if you do wish to SLI or Crossfire down the line.

Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD) The onboard sound card is good and clear for anything. Sound card you won't notice much unless you have a Ear for sound so it not needed.

Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79) The Home edition is just about the same as the Pro as most people are happy with the home edition unless you require some of the features from the Pro then you can swap it.

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

This is a spec you may want to consider :)

chrisrs2292

thanks for the replies guys, will definately take your recommendations into consideration when i buy in a month or two's time :)