PC Turns off

Hi,
I have the following problem: while playing relatively graphics hungry games (eg Call of duty 2 Modern warfare) the computer restarts with no warning or error messages. At the restart the computer is "normal" i'm not asked to start in safe more and it doesn't say "windows is recovering from an unexpected shutdown". I have 2 Nvidia cards working in SLI and 1 of them gets really hot before the shutdown. is there any test I can run to find out why this is happening?
Thanks in advace
G

Sweeney47

do you happen to know which card it is? It's probably the lower one because the top one is blowing hot air onto it... Have you tried manually putting the fan speeds up as this might help keep it cooler but isnt optimal as it might overall shorten the life span of the card. How hot is it getting before it crashes? Cards can normally get very toasty before they start hitting issues...

2xNvidia GTX260 cards, Correct, the bottom 1 gets hot. No idea how to ghange fan speeds! Can't keep my hand on it, too hot. I was told that if it was a graphic card issue it would open a window up advising of the problem, this is not the case?

Sweeney47

I have a program/addon called nTune. You should be able to find it on the Nvidia website, it basically adds extra tools and options to the Nvidia control panel such as clock speeds and fan speed. Be very careful using this though as if you accidently set an option incorrectly (such as voltages) you can cripple your machine. Its quite hard to do that accidently though and is very easy to use. Once you install it, open Nvidia control panel, on the left click 'device settings' click the 'GPU' image, at bottom should be a fan speed option, tick the 'manual' box and slide it up. Hopefully this will help the situation but ultimately it comes down to how good your case+fans are at shifting the temperatures.

I have a program/addon called nTune. You should be able to find it on the Nvidia website, it basically adds extra tools and options to the Nvidia control panel such as clock speeds and fan speed. Be very careful using this though as if you accidently set an option incorrectly (such as voltages) you can cripple your machine. Its quite hard to do that accidently though and is very easy to use. Once you install it, open Nvidia control panel, on the left click 'device settings' click the 'GPU' image, at bottom should be a fan speed option, tick the 'manual' box and slide it up. Hopefully this will help the situation but ultimately it comes down to how good your case+fans are at shifting the temperatures.

OK thanks I did it, it was set at 30% and I increased it to 60%. I will let you know if that solved the problem. Thanks for your help.
G

Sleinous

Author Level
Yes, or you can use the EVGA Precision tuner, also a handy way of turning your fan sepeeds up or down. 30% is a bit low for auto, although you probably wernt doing anything heavy at the time you took the reading. 60% should help, although I guess it's loader? :p

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
To eliminate an over-heating issue, please try again with the side-panel taken off and see if the restarts continue. Let us know how you get on.

Meds

The best thing to do now is to download the following free software;

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

This will give you temperatures for pretty much every component in your PC - CPU, Mobo, HDDs, GPUs etc.

Please run this software and then play a game for as long as you think you can before it shuts down. Exit the game and HW Monitor will give you the Current Temp, Minimum Temp & Maximum Temp of each component. Please reply back with the temperatures for the CPU & both GPUs and we'll take it from there.

This is more accurate way of ruling out an overheating issue compared to increasing fan speeds/removing side panels etc.

steveuk87

Super Star
ARGH!! ok now minews having similar trouble!! whilst browsing today the machine has restarted itself about 10 times!! for no reason! i have checked all the hardware connections and done a chkdsk and mem test. Just downloaded hwmonitor so i'll see how it goes, but i dont even need to be running anything for it to crash :/

Steve

steveuk87

Super Star
ok an hour running 2 windows of an mmo and MW2 multiplayer on high PFX and the temps of my GPU went up from 30oC to 35oC so its not overheating.. grr blasted thing!

Steve