PC with a GPU & Onboard graphics

steaky360

I had a look through the link you sent & theres nothing telling me what sockets/pins the fans will use.

Most fans will come with adapters if the motherboard doesn't have the same connections on it as the fans do then you can use the adapters and use a molex connection.

I think Cooler Master fans are 3 pin though.

haroon158

Bronze Level Poster
Most fans will come with adapters if the motherboard doesn't have the same connections on it as the fans do then you can use the adapters and use a molex connection.

I think Cooler Master fans are 3 pin though.
Im given to understand that If I do not connect these fans up to the motherboard and just to the PSU they will run at full speed at all times. But I don't really want that I want them to be connected to the mobo but i dont know about all these molex connections and everything else . The motherboard im interested in comes with 3 Fan Headers what do i do :/?

steaky360

You could get a fan controller of some kind, that will allow you to adjust the speed of the fans to suit whatever you are doing at the time. There are many to choose from :)
For Example Clicky

steaky360

Not that I know of, not one that will allow you to control the fans speed.

I think Bit Fenix supply low voltage inline resistors with some of their fans to keep them quiet. You could use those if you really didn't want to go with a fan controller. You'd still need to purchase them though, if it was a matter of cost, the fan controller might be cheaper.

steaky360

The link is for 3 pin y splitters, they let you use one motherboard header to run two fans. Nothing to do with Molex adapters :) Unless I am missing something?

haroon158

Bronze Level Poster
The link is for 3 pin y splitters, they let you use one motherboard header to run two fans. Nothing to do with Molex adapters :) Unless I am missing something?
there not related. I double checked the motherboards fans it has 1 4pin socket. 2 3pin socket and a power fan connector which will be free.
If im mistaken please correct me.
The 4pin socket allows for me to adjust the speed of the fan.
The 3pin socket will adjust the speed of the fan to the temperature of the case but I will not be able to adjust the speed of the fan myself.
The Power fan socket I have no idea about explain it to me please :)

haroon158

Bronze Level Poster
lmfao i've just realised my desk isn't going to be wide enough probably going to need to break a shelf down :/

steaky360

If you are talking about the Asus p8z77-v motherboard it has 3 chassis fan connectors, 1 cpu fan connector and 1 optional connector. The power fan socket is for psu's that have a fan header.

haroon158

Bronze Level Poster
If you are talking about the Asus p8z77-v motherboard it has 3 chassis fan connectors, 1 cpu fan connector and 1 optional connector. The power fan socket is for psu's that have a fan header.

nah the ASrock extreme4 z77 is it any good?

I heard the power fan socket could be used for case fans as well :/

steaky360

nah the ASrock extreme4 z77 is it any good?

I heard the power fan socket could be used for case fans as well :/

Unfortunately I dont have any experience with that motherboard so cant say if its good or not. You should be able to use that connector for case fans too, you will still probably have the same problem as you mentioned previously though with them running at full belt all the time.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/302189-12-difference-chassis-power-connector Has a good explanation of the difference in the connectors.

haroon158

Bronze Level Poster
Unfortunately I dont have any experience with that motherboard so cant say if its good or not. You should be able to use that connector for case fans too, you will still probably have the same problem as you mentioned previously though with them running at full belt all the time.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/302189-12-difference-chassis-power-connector Has a good explanation of the difference in the connectors.

I read that article and they do change speed in that socket like the chass fan.