Pci / pci-e ..?

SickoJay

Hey, quick question. The motherboard i'm getting is a "Motherboard ASUS® P8Z77-V: PCI-E 3.0 READY, WIFI, SLI, CROSSFIREX"

The network wireless card, should I have the PCI one or the PCI-E one? (Both same price)? :confused:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Both are the same it just depends on what slots you have available or what you want to keep available which one you choose.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I put mine in the PCI slot, it's an older standard and you probably wont need to use it for anything else. On my motherboard it also happens to be out of the way of everything else, sometimes if you adding a big high spec GPU you don't want to put wireless or soudcards right beside it that end up bloacking the air flow. All down to what else you plan to add to the case in your build and later on down the line, i would go for PCI just because it's older and apart from that it doesn't really matter.

SickoJay

Okay, changed it to the PCI.. should I put my MOBO back to what it was or do I still have to have the one that says WIFI?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I didn't notice the motherboard had wifi,in that case I dont think you would need a wireless card.

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
if you stick with that mobo, as vanthus said sounds like you dont need a wifi card. (also if ya thinking about homeplugs, as ya asked in the pm)

Also what gpu are you going with? I'd want to make sure that you have nothing under the gpu as mantadog suggested.

If you look on the picture below, I have marked the what the different ports are.

The two marked with red rings are pci e ports
The two in green are pci ports
The two in blue are the pci e 3.0 ports for gpu's
There's also a black pci 2.0 port at the bottom I didnt mark, (for a third gpu, not much point even considering three gpus)

pics%u00252520of%2520pci%2520slots.png

Things you need to consider, If you have a dual slot gpu, (most are now days) It will be installed in the top pci-e 3.0 port, but it will block the pci-e port below it, so you cant install anything. Dual slot gpu's normally block the slot below them on the mobo.

If you want to sli/crossfire, then you need to think that even though on this mobo you could have dual gpu's, and have a pci slot between, them its really not a good idea to have a card installed there as it would block the top card, there's only a 1cm gap between the top card and the bottom card on a dual gpu setup. So in this case, if you wanted to add a wireless card or a sound card, it would be best to get a pci-e card, then it would be placed above the top gpu and have no effect on temps what so ever. edit - example in my pic below.

if you just want one gpu and never want to sli, then you could get either a pci or pci-e card, however, this depends on the motherboard, and what pci/pci-e ports are installed.

below is a picture of my dual gpus, you can see a empty pci-e slot above my top 580, and you can just make out the empty pci slot below the top 580, as you can see its best not have a pci card installed in that postition.

SDC10917.JPG

Hope this helps :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Really? Can anyone confirm this... I'm confused! :/

yes the ASUS® P8Z77-V: PCI-E 3.0 READY, WIFI, SLI, CROSSFIREX" does have onboard wifi.

You can read about the motherboard here,

It would certainly be worth having, I have no idea if its any good, but if you did invest in homeplugs (as pm suggested) then win 7 will still connect both wifi and wired connection at the same time. I do not know if it will give you a boost in internet performance on ya desktop though.

Last edited:

SickoJay

yes the ASUS® P8Z77-V: PCI-E 3.0 READY, WIFI, SLI, CROSSFIREX" does have onboard wifi.

You can read about the motherboard here,

It would certainly be worth having, I have no idea if its any good, but if you did invest in homeplugs (as pm suggested) then win 7 will still connect both wifi and wired connection at the same time. I do not know if it will give you a boost in internet performance on ya desktop though.

Right, so in this case.. I don't need the Wireless card for the extra £16?

And the GPU is the i5-2500k.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Right, so in this case.. I don't need the Wireless card for the extra £16?

And the GPU is the i5-2500k.

no you wont need the extra wireless card. :)

also the gpu is the graphics processing unit. ya graphics card :)

nice choice of cpu, but if you are not overclocking, you can drop to the 2500 to save some money.

SickoJay

Okay... but will the Onboard wifi be any good? How powerful is it?

And.. I'm going with the GTX 680.

So I'm wondering if I should just downgrade the MOBO to the first one (ASUS® P8Z77-M: MICRO-ATX, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX) and get a wireless PCI card.. Because I can't have PCI-E, as the site tells me my GTX 680 takes up 2 slots and I have none left.

What would be the better option? Better mobo, around £50 more, OR stick with wireless PCI card, which brings my total to under £1200.

This is the last thing I need to know! :) I want to be sure about everything before I buy it.

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I would geuss that the one drawback of that motherboard with built in wireless vs a proper stand alone wireless card would be range, however for most people it should still be more than ample unless you have a really big house or thick walls.

SickoJay

Okay, I'm just going to go with the standard MOBO and have the Wireless PCI card.

Thanks for ALL your help. Much appreciated!