PC's Ordered Without Windows 7

MeveM

Bright Spark
Just a suggestion to PCS, if you get a order for a PC without a OS, could you maybe when you've finished testing it, changing the boot sequence so it's looking for the disc drive instead of the harddrive? Took me some time to figure out how to do it, sorted it but for someone less experienced, it might be a bigger issue and could probably save you a tech support phonecall.

TudorVII

Enthusiast
At the same time though, even after the PC has been built the first boot option will be the CD drive, and for someone not very technical at all, they'll have no idea why it's happening and will ultimately end up in a call to tech support.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
At the same time though, even after the PC has been built the first boot option will be the CD drive, and for someone not very technical at all, they'll have no idea why it's happening and will ultimately end up in a call to tech support.

What? if first boot option is CD and they have a CD in itll boot from it if you press a key, but if you leave it itll boot off HDD anyway. Might have misunderstood your point but I think having CD as primary boot isnt a bad idea.

TudorVII

Enthusiast
What? if first boot option is CD and they have a CD in itll boot from it if you press a key, but if you leave it itll boot off HDD anyway. Might have misunderstood your point but I think having CD as primary boot isnt a bad idea.

Yes, sorry that is the point I'm trying to make, just didn't word it very well. I know a lot of people who just leave CD's in the disk drive, so I'm basing my opinion on that. Truth be told, in either case there's bound to be the odd numpty who has no idea about it and has to call tech support anyway.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Yes, sorry that is the point I'm trying to make, just didn't word it very well. I know a lot of people who just leave CD's in the disk drive, so I'm basing my opinion on that. Truth be told, in either case there's bound to be the odd numpty who has no idea about it and has to call tech support anyway.

Lol yeah but even with a CD left in the drive, for a start it has to be a boot CD, most CDs like game cds dont get recognised as boot CDs, so for a start would more than likley be an OS cd, and secondly when you put an OS CD in and boot from it, unless you press a key itll boot from the HDD instead anyway. :)

MeveM

Bright Spark
Only reason I had a problem with it is that the BIOS looked completely different from my old one, had a blue DOS looking screen before, now I have this fansy looking ASUS one where I had to grab, slide and drop the boot sequence icons. Not a big thing, but just think it'd help people at least get windows installed so they can google how to change it back to disc boot.

onlynik

Enthusiast
I installed my OS via USB as it's quicker. Bootable USB and the Windows files copied to it. Besides I couldn't be bothered burning another DVD to lose.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I installed my OS via USB as it's quicker. Bootable USB and the Windows files copied to it. Besides I couldn't be bothered burning another DVD to lose.

Thats not the point though, to boot from USB you would still have to have this set in the BIOS.

onlynik

Enthusiast
Thats not the point though, to boot from USB you would still have to have this set in the BIOS.

Yep, that was my point, No matter what it is set to when it leaves PCS, there will always be someone difficult (like me) who will need to enter the BIOS to change it.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Yep, that was my point, No matter what it is set to when it leaves PCS, there will always be someone difficult (like me) who will need to enter the BIOS to change it.

I agree but id say booting from USB is something that the average person wont ever do, that tends to be people who know what theyre doing. CD is still the standard.