Performance diff. between top spec 15.6 / 17" Vortex IIs

flobber238

Bronze Level Poster
The Vortex II 15.6 and 17" laptops can both be configured to an equal, very high and expensive level (ignoring that new matte display). Does anybody know the resulting performance difference at these high levels? I would expect that the smaller laptop would suffer a reduced cooling capability.

Note that the 17" laptop costs £55 more when they are both configured equally to a very high level (with same specs on both) .

I was only interested in the larger laptop before, but due to the epic display option on the smaller model, that one is now reasonable. But I would not want to sacrifice too much performance.

This is all hypothetical (atm) for me!

Tehmoe

Gold Level Poster
The main difference is the 2" of extra screen space, there might be some heat differences but I wouldnt expect anything big at all. The 17" can also hold 2 HDD and still have space for a DVD drive so if thats important to you could be a big thing, apart from that I see no differences at all.

iceatcs

17" is not really portability, too large for airplane tray. You will look fool if you use it in the public transport.
15.6" may better but still little large.

I assume 17" will drain battery more faster than 15.6"
15.6" has better pixel density than 17" if both 1080p (Texts will be more sharper on 15.6")

Last edited:

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
If your carrying it around 15" anyday, I wouldnt carry a 17" around not because id look like a fool, just simply because it is quite bulky. Its more a computer than can easily be moved around the house than a computer used for commuters.

For me though anythign smaller than 15 isnt that great, but I need screen space for what I do so thats my only reason why.

iceatcs

Of course geek standard is okay with carry bulky 17"+ and 3Kg+ laptop.

I can't lose get laid, so I stick with 15.6" to ease abit.

flobber238

Bronze Level Poster
I can't lose get laid, so I stick with 15.6" to ease abit.

I go to a science university in London, Computists are seen with Alienware 17" machines on their laps sat in lounges... (poor guys, such unnecessary cost...)

I'm pretty sure I could socially get away with a 17" "unbranded" laptop! But from the looks of it I would prefer the 15" model. With the matte screen!!!

iceatcs

Ouch Alienware priced, but nice looking laptop, might be unnecessary too.
Yeah I rather matte too! Out of stock atm :( (I think it will coming stock tomorrow). Also 15.6" has better pixel density at 1080p.