Plagued by BSOD

djayk85

Right so SSD is a crucial one, using phone to post this at the mo and can't remember precisely what model

Formatted and reinstalled Windows. Crashed error F4 when trying to update graphic driver. Came back and updated driver fine but then when doing the Windows updates it crashed again during the installation part.

Concerned as not sure what it could be causing the crashes. If it's the SSD I don't care, cheap to replace and I have the HDD. If it is the Motherboard or GPU I'm more concerned as I don't really have the money to replace it.

I'm out of ideas of what to do now.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Right so SSD is a crucial one, using phone to post this at the mo and can't remember precisely what model

Formatted and reinstalled Windows. Crashed error F4 when trying to update graphic driver. Came back and updated driver fine but then when doing the Windows updates it crashed again during the installation part.

Concerned as not sure what it could be causing the crashes. If it's the SSD I don't care, cheap to replace and I have the HDD. If it is the Motherboard or GPU I'm more concerned as I don't really have the money to replace it.

I'm out of ideas of what to do now.

It sounds a little like the SSD is borked, but if that's the case, I'm surprised the chkdsk /f passed. The other thing you can do is to download something like piriform speccy and run that, it has a SMART meter for drives and should tell you if any attributes are failing.

djayk85

The SSD is Crucial CT240M500SSD1 240GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive and is less than 12 months old

The way I did a chkdsk is the following:

1. Open the "Computer" window
  2. Right-click on the drive in question
  3. Select the "Tools" tab
  4. In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.

Is that different to using cmd and then chkdsk /f or is it the same?

I will download that tonight when I get home from work and see if says anything

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The SSD is Crucial CT240M500SSD1 240GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive and is less than 12 months old

The way I did a chkdsk is the following:

1. Open the "Computer" window
  2. Right-click on the drive in question
  3. Select the "Tools" tab
  4. In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.

Is that different to using cmd and then chkdsk /f or is it the same?

I will download that tonight when I get home from work and see if says anything

Ah, yes, that's not a chkdsk /f... better run that from an elevated command prompt. You don't need to download anything, just open a command prompt as administrator and type chksdk /f and enter.

djayk85

Ah, yes, that's not a chkdsk /f... better run that from an elevated command prompt. You don't need to download anything, just open a command prompt as administrator and type chksdk /f and enter.

Ah ok I will try that when I get home.

If that fails then I will put in a warranty claim for the SSD as less than a year old and revert to the original HDD for a while and pray that I have no issues.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ah ok I will try that when I get home.

If that fails then I will put in a warranty claim for the SSD as less than a year old and revert to the original HDD for a while and pray that I have no issues.

Good plan, Crucial are excellent with the warranty process and I think the warranty on that drive is 3 years. They're excellent drives, I have an old M4 which has never let me down, so I do think this points to a faulty drive given the BSOD codes, but the chkdsk should reveal more.

djayk85

Good plan, Crucial are excellent with the warranty process and I think the warranty on that drive is 3 years. They're excellent drives, I have an old M4 which has never let me down, so I do think this points to a faulty drive given the BSOD codes, but the chkdsk should reveal more.

Thanks, you've been a great help. Will do the chkdsk /f tonight and see and post results here.

Will then change the boot order and start from my HDD, run updates on it as it was being used as storage drive and then use and play through that for a few days with the SSD disconnected and see if I get any crashes. If I get no crashes then I guess it points directly to the SSD. If I get crashes then its back to square one to see what the problem is.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks, you've been a great help. Will do the chkdsk /f tonight and see and post results here.

Will then change the boot order and start from my HDD, run updates on it as it was being used as storage drive and then use and play through that for a few days with the SSD disconnected and see if I get any crashes. If I get no crashes then I guess it points directly to the SSD. If I get crashes then its back to square one to see what the problem is.

Good plan... post back with the chkdsk results.

djayk85

Ok so had to boot the HDD to be able to run the chkdsk /f on the SSD and it was the same as when I did it the other way.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>F:

F:\>chkdsk /f
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N) y
Volume dismounted. All opened handles to this volume are now invalid.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
134912 file records processed.
File verification completed.
111 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
0 EA records processed.
44 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
175142 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
134912 file SDs/SIDs processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
20116 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
36405424 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

234326015 KB total disk space.
34248632 KB in 113415 files.
74400 KB in 20117 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
244363 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
199758620 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
58581503 total allocation units on disk.
49939655 allocation units available on disk.

F:\>

Do I need to do something different?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
No, that's fine, it's not finding any errors which leaves me flumoxed I'm afraid. Going with my gut, if the firmware on the drive is fully up to date and the motherboard drivers are all up to date, then I'm at a loss cos I would expect that to throw some errors. Sorry dude, I don't think I can be too much more help.

The only other thing I can think is as you said, to try a fresh install onto the HDD and see if the issue is still there.

djayk85

Well the HDD still has a windows on it and seems to be fine.

This evening when trying to do the above and get speccy etc the SSD crashed multiple times when trying to use it and the HDD didn't.

Created a restore point and about to disconnect the SSD and run the HDD and then run windows updates etc and see how I go. Fingers crossed no crashes. will update shortly to let you know.

Thanks for all your help.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well the HDD still has a windows on it and seems to be fine.

This evening when trying to do the above and get speccy etc the SSD crashed multiple times when trying to use it and the HDD didn't.

Created a restore point and about to disconnect the SSD and run the HDD and then run windows updates etc and see how I go. Fingers crossed no crashes. will update shortly to let you know.

Thanks for all your help.

All the best with it :)

djayk85

So after using the HDD for a few hours last night no crashes whatsoever so I am leaning towards the SSD being caput which is a good thing in the grand scheme of things. Further testing on the HDD needed but I'm a lot happier.

In the process of contacting Crucial to ask what they can help with.

Thanks for all your help Spyder, I hope not to be back anytime soon. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So after using the HDD for a few hours last night no crashes whatsoever so I am leaning towards the SSD being caput which is a good thing in the grand scheme of things. Further testing on the HDD needed but I'm a lot happier.

In the process of contacting Crucial to ask what they can help with.

Thanks for all your help Spyder, I hope not to be back anytime soon. :)

All the best with Crucial, they're very good, I don't think you'll have any problems.