Planning on buying a system soon but... I already have an operating system.

Chriso

Gold Level Poster
Hello, I have configured a pc with my budget without an OS since I already have windows 7 on disk. I'm just curious to know if I can just email/call PCS and tell them they key for my OS. Would save me money and would be point having x2 of the same operating system. I'm also concerned about the OS because I'd assume they need an is to make sure the system is operational while In testing?

Last edited:

arthouse

When building your PC you can choose whether or not to have an OS installed so there is no need to purchase another OS. To do this, go to the "Operating System" drop down box on the build your own PC page, scroll all the way down and choose "No Operating System Required". I don't think they need an OS when quality checking the system but I may be wrong. I imagine it to be done with the BIOS and diagnostics and the like.

steaky360

I think they do still install windows onto the machine to quality check it but you do not need to purchase a copy from them, nor will you need to send them your CD Key. You will just need that when the PC arrives.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
If you choose "No Operating System Required" as arthouse mentioned,there will still be an OEM operating system installed but obviously you won't have a product key to activate that OS.
It would then be a simple matter of doing a clean install with your own windows 7 OS disk,assuming you have a "retail" version which you are not using on another computer.
An "OEM" version can only be used on the computer you bought it with.

Chriso

Gold Level Poster
You can use windows 7 operating system on 3 different house hold computers can't you? I have it on 2 at the moment..

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
As I said you can use a retail version on any one computer at a time (legally)
Though I believe there is a family pack for 3 PC's available.
If it came with a computer it's probably OEM,if so (the product key would be on the back of the PC it came with)It should tell you on the disk or case.
Or you could check product ID on the system installed.

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Came with my old pc it os retail id guess

If you go to computer and then system properties you should be able to check if it is OEM, it should be indicated under windows activation, my product ID has OEM as part of the code.

niklad

I recently recieved my PCS desktop pc and didn't order an OS with it. I wanted to have windows 8 pro and you can buy the upgrade for £25 from microsoft if you have windows 7/xp/vista. Basically PCS will install a "test" version of windows 7 onto your pc. Its basically a full version of windows without a product key linked to it, so you can use it for 30 days then it will expire. All you have to do is input your product key into the activation page and it will activate into a full version of windows (the type will vary depending on whether u have pro/home or ultimate licence)

As already said, "technically" you cant transfer your OEM licence to another computer, but come on guys, if you own windows on a compuiter you are going to bin it makes sense to transfer it to your new computer, and you can do it without problem. (its just a legal issue)

Chriso

Gold Level Poster
Been reading reviews about windows 8 and I don't really like the look of the sliding screen and the multiple desktops and you cannot put the pages 50% on size on the page. For working it seems very awkwark for working but it looks tidy and the start up manager seems ok but there is a lot of clicking just to get to one destination where as there are lots shortcuts for windows 7 but apparently windows 8 uses a lot leads power consumption.

HELP :)