Please give the higher standard thermal paste as an option

dontsimon

every few years is recommended at most. but 6month old paste is not a great start to your new over-clock.

What im trying to tell you is that IF you want to OC a chip that has 6 month old paste on it. It would be a good idea to re apply the paste anyway. Its always a good idea to re apply the paste. The idea being to get the best results...

Which brings me back to my original point of there not being any point offering the high end goo.

Im not typing this out for fun, Im just trying to help you understand.

If I want to overclock in six months, but decide I can do it without having to reapply paste because I already have decent paste installed, then I'm fine with that. Currently that isn't an option though, which is why I suggested the 'option'. How is that different to buying a pre overclocked system which is still overclocked after six months?

Thanks for helping me understand though.

Tom DWC

To be honest, if you were thinking about overclocking at a later date then why not buy the PC overclocked (with the necessary cooling and paste pre-applied) then remove the overclock on the PC. You could then overclock it again at a later date and be covered under warranty.

Best of both worlds. :)

DSN

Enthusiast
If I want to overclock in six months, but decide I can do it without having to reapply paste because I already have decent paste installed, then I'm fine with that. Currently that isn't an option though, which is why I suggested the 'option'. How is that different to buying a pre overclocked system which is still overclocked after six months?

Thanks for helping me understand though.

Well, I work in a Data Center and I build about 5 - 10 servers a day, stock CPU' stock speed's stock paste. And I blip a drop on and slap the heat sink down. This will do the job just fine, and I dont give it a second thought.

Then once a year I build a new rig for myself which has the CPU,GPU1,GPU2,North Bridge,South Bridge,Mossfets all water cooled. Each of these have a water block connected through thermal paste, And i spend a lot of time testing the spread of each Block with see through acrylic getting the perfect spread for the given radius of each block. And once its perfect I apply it. Just sticking the blocks takes the best part of a day. But for this I usually see about 2 - 4 deg less temps compared to the average review that I read for the bits I have.

The bottom line is. pasting a stock cpu on stock speed's is a no brainer. and its done in 30 seconds.

BUT, if you really want a nice over clock ( over clocking itself is a direct exchange of your time, money, and know how for processing power)

Why spend the money on the kit. Spend the time getting the clock right, and not take the time to assure you have one of the most key connections at its best ?

Additionally. You dont know and will never know how good the pasting is from your block to cpu unless you do it yourself.

And im pretty sure no employee will take as much time over it as an owner.

dontsimon

And im pretty sure no employee will take as much time over it as an owner.

Possibly so. I built my current PC five years ago. But this time I want to buy pre-built, to avoid the possible problems, and for warranty, support and peace of mind. That's why I'm here on these forums, investigating a purchase. If I'm going to buy from here I'm going to have to trust the guys here to do a good job. This isn't the only vendor I'm looking at, but it is the one I'm favouring.

DSN

Enthusiast
If your going to over clock the pc. get the good paste, and the cooler.

But if your not. your just wasting your money.

Why would you wait to over clock the CPU yourself. If you want it overlooked then trust them to over clock it off the bat. I don't see how this paying out for the OC parts but not clocking the chip would every make sense in the real world.

dontsimon

To be honest, if you were thinking about overclocking at a later date then why not buy the PC overclocked (with the necessary cooling and paste pre-applied) then remove the overclock on the PC. You could then overclock it again at a later date and be covered under warranty.

Best of both worlds. :)

Good idea. Despite not wanting to build my own PC, or have to take it to bits to apply paste etc, I do like to study how my PC's bios works and I'd want to apply my own OC at a later date. Initially I do not think I'd need an overclocked PC.

Better TIM isn't only about overclocking though. It's always good to have lower temps, especially in the summer when it can get really warm.

DSN

Enthusiast
so you dont actually want an over clock...

but you want the less that 1 degree heat difference you will get from any cpu in the i7 gen2 range at 32mn.. Im still not seeing the logic.

DSN

Enthusiast
Initially I do not think I'd need an overclocked PC.

Welll, yes, you did.

Bottom line is, even if you can find an obscure situation where somehow someone would benefit from 10 quid of paste and a 40 note cooler on a stock cpu. It would be so few and far between, it would not be worth the design time.

But hey, just my opinion.

dontsimon

Welll, yes, you did.

No I didn't.

Which suggests at a later date I might want to overclock, a point made right from the beginning of this thread and which was the exact point of me making the thread and suggesting the better TIM be an option.

Honestly, if it makes no difference to you I fail to see why you'd object to it being an option. Clearly you think it's pointless, but not everybody has the same needs and requirements.

DSN

Enthusiast
No I didn't.

Which suggests at a later date I might want to overclock, a point made right from the beginning of this thread and which was the exact point of me making the thread and suggesting the better TIM be an option.

Honestly, if it makes no difference to you I fail to see why you'd object to it being an option. Clearly you think it's pointless, but not everybody has the same needs and requirements.

You are correct. i do think it is pointless, but the point im trying to make is that I can not see any situation where there would be any bonus to offering it.

Sleinous

Author Level
Cmon peeps, lets quit the arguing or ill have to lock this thread down and pass the suggestion onto PCS myself.

dontsimon

You are correct. i do think it is pointless, but the point im trying to make is that I can not see any situation where there would be any bonus to offering it.

Exactly, different people have different needs to you. As you said, you'd apply your own paste if / when / as necessary. I'd want the option of it being already applied for when I choose to overclock, if I choose to overclock.

Anway, I think we're going round in circles. Must be a slow work day :)

dontsimon

Cmon peeps, lets quit the arguing or ill have to lock this thread down and pass the suggestion onto PCS myself.

Actually I think the thread has been informative and not at all negative. Far more respectful and restrained than many tech forums :)

Sleinous

Author Level
Yes more respectful but the opinions have been expressed now. Any further debating can be taken to pm otherwise staff are going to have a hard time sifting through to the part that actually matters :p (adding option to forums)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Reverting back 4 pages to the original post:

Thanks for the feedback. We don't currently list this as an option on "standard" configurators because our aim is to try keep things simple, and not confuse the less computer literate amongst us. If you'd like to order additional thermal paste with a non-overclocked system, you're welcome to do so.

The easiest way to arrange this is by calling us on 0844 499 4000. :)

dontsimon

Thanks for that :)

Can I ask, there appears to be price difference of the similarly specced OC and non OC systems, of about £75. Is this just due to the different motherboards used* (the only different component)? Or is there a premium now for the OC systems??

This makes buying a non OC system much more appealing, and therefore the option of the better paste for home OCing makes even more sense.

*The OC option does not allow use of the onboard graphics chip, the non OC sytems do. Do the different chipsets allow for differing overclocking results / stability?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
We don't charge anything extra for OC'd systems. However, we force you to order the following:

1. Decent case.
2. Good CPU cooler.
3. High spec PSU.
4. CPU paste.

If you put everything together like for like, you'll see the price is identical except the cost of the CPU paste.

dontsimon

Case
COOLERMASTER CM690 MKII ADVANCED CASE
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz @ max 4.20GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® P8P67 PRO: USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, CrossFireX™ / SLI SUPPORT
Memory (RAM)
4GB KINGSTON HYPER-X SPECIAL EDITION GREY - DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card
512MB NVIDIA GEFORCE 210 - DVI,HDMI,VGA
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W TX SERIES (TX750) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£89)
Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£39)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD OVERCLOCK THERMAL PASTE
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 13 working days
Quantity

Price: £906.00 including VAT and delivery.

Case
COOLERMASTER CM690 MKII ADVANCED CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® P8H67-M LX SI: MICRO ATX MAINBOARD, LG 1155, SATA 6.0Gb/s
Memory (RAM)
4GB KINGSTON HYPER-X SPECIAL EDITION GREY - DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card
512MB NVIDIA GEFORCE 210 - DVI,HDMI,VGA
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W TX SERIES (TX750) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£89)
Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£39)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 13 working days
Quantity

Price: £835.00 including VAT and delivery.

This is close to the build I would want. The first build is the overclocked. The only difference is the motherboard, but the price is quite different.