Please help, laptop problem

chrwhi638

Hi,

I received one of your Xenon laptops for £700 for Christmas and something's gone badly wrong. To cut a long story short, the laptop is now at the stage now where when I boot it up, it just says 'Invalid partition table'.

From what I can see, somehow the hard drive has gone back to a non-formatted(?) state, so I need to re-format it before I can re-install windows. So I go to format the hdd and get the message 'You need to format the disk in drive C: before you can use it, do you want to format it' and after clicking 'yes' I get the following problem - 'Windows can't format C - Check to see that the disk and drive are connected properly, make sure that the disk is not read-only, and then try again.'

So how do I check or change it if it's read only or how else can I format it so I can install windows?

Any help is much appreciated.

Chris

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
The process of doing a clean install should delete
the partitions of the drive allowing you to reinstall windows.
With the Windows OS disk inserted , power
on the system and start tapping the F8 key.
Instructions are given in the welcome booklet.

Last edited:

chrwhi638

Hi vanthus, I've been through the booklet and (from what I can see) it only instructs you what to do if the HDD shows up on the 'where do you want to install windows' part. My HDD does not show up. It says at the bottom 'No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation'. When I attempt to load the driver/hdd (C: ) and double click it, that's when the previously stated problem comes up -

'You need to format the disk in drive C: before you can use it, do you want to format it' and after clicking 'yes' I get the following problem - 'Windows can't format C - Check to see that the disk and drive are connected properly, make sure that the disk is not read-only, and then try again.'

I assume that the disk is connected properly as it wouldn't be getting picked up in the 'browse' section otherwise.

So it won't format while it's on read only (god knows how that's happened). How can I change this? Or is there another way of re-formatting...?

Thanks

chrwhi638

Done. It is definitely connected properly.

I have now managed to format the hard-drive (by putting it into an external case, plugging into a different PC and formatting). However, now when I double click to install windows onto the C: drive, nothing happens. If I select C: and press 'ok' the error message comes up saying 'No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click ok'.

Hexas

I think your hdd is faulty, or at least something really bad happened to it. I say give PCS a ring and they'll send you a new one. Good luck ;)