Policy over defective laptop return

DRN

Hi,

I bought a laptop for a family member, under a year ago and the machine has been bluescreening quite frequently I think the event viewer info mentioned something to do with a power issue to the hard drive but im not around to see properly.

Raised this with support a week ago but they must be busy, anytime i email em it's 36 hours till my next reply. Impossible to organise a log collection/troubleshooting session It's getting frustrating listening to my family member mouthing off and I know I'm going to have to send it in anyway... so is there a way of getting to the collection of the device as opposed to waiting around another few days to collect logs that will ultimately amount to the device having to be collected anyway.

Is there a way of speeding up this process.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

I bought a laptop for a family member, under a year ago and the machine has been bluescreening quite frequently I think the event viewer info mentioned something to do with a power issue to the hard drive but im not around to see properly.

Raised this with support a week ago but they must be busy, anytime i email em it's 36 hours till my next reply. Impossible to organise a log collection/troubleshooting session It's getting frustrating listening to my family member mouthing off and I know I'm going to have to send it in anyway... so is there a way of getting to the collection of the device as opposed to waiting around another few days to collect logs that will ultimately amount to the device having to be collected anyway.

Is there a way of speeding up this process.
Much faster to phone them. They are incredibly busy now and for a while to come, there have just been 2 significant launches plus the Covid implications, you’ll be on hold for a while. Also it will take around a month for the RMA

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What are the BSOD errors? There should be minidump files in C:\Windows\Minidumps and/or a kernel dump file in C:\Windows\Memory.dmp. Upload all those dumps to the cloud somewhere and post a link to them here, I'll take a look for you.

It's possible the BSODs are hardware related but it's way more likely they are down to a software issue (bad or wrong drivers is the common cause of BSODs). The dumps should help to determine where the problem lies. It's entirely possible that the laptop is not defective at all but there is some sort of software issue causing these BSODs.

Note that PCS won't fix software/driver issues, so it's very important to be certain you have a hardware problem before you RMA it.

DRN

Laptop was returned after a month, the issue reoccurred within 2 hours of use :S

Phones busy for the 4 conseq. hours i was calling. Very poor

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Laptop was returned after a month, the issue reoccurred within 2 hours of use :S

Phones busy for the 4 conseq. hours i was calling. Very poor
It would be worth troubleshooting it, if it’s software related, that’s not something PCS would test for.

DRN

The hard drive was deemed the fault (logs looked like it was the cause also in fairness) but a new hard drive went into it. and still the same issue. The only software used on it was Edge browser.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The hard drive was deemed the fault (logs looked like it was the cause also in fairness) but a new hard drive went into it. and still the same issue. The only software used on it was Edge browser.
So we'll need to know the BSOD code that's coming up.

Also if you can post the memory dump files from C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP and the latest one from C:\Windows\Minidump then we can investigate further.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So we'll need to know the BSOD code that's coming up.

Also if you can post the memory dump files from C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP and the latest one from C:\Windows\Minidump then we can investigate further.
Already asked ..... and ignored.

DRN

Don't be so tetchy. The laptop in question is my fathers, so i don't have direct access to it. He stated he couldn't find said logs, but I'll have a look at it some time today

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Don't be so tetchy. The laptop in question is my fathers, so i don't have direct access to it. He stated he couldn't find said logs, but I'll have a look at it some time today
Well I did make that suggestion/request over 4 weeks ago...

Please remember that we're all volunteers on here and if you want our help you need to be a tad less rude.

DRN

Your response, talking around me was a bit rude also.

I had checked the event logs and provided information in the initial ticket. The fix appears to have been focused on the faulty hard drive, it was sent off, and I hadn't seen your initial comment on the logs until it was returned in the same state. My father wouldn't be very tech savvy and is a two hour drive so it's not an easy task to get logs etc