Portable HDD

Flucky

I've had a Western Digital Elements 1TB for a couple years and it's been fine. Still runs as it did when I got it and I've frequently used it. The only thing I can think of that's wrong with it is that the power cable going into the HDD is loose fitting so you have to keep it very still when using it. It's quiet and doesn't get very hot, looks pretty sturdy as well but I've never dropped it/put it through rough use so wouldn't really know about durability.

*It does come formatted FAT32 so you can't put a file bigger than 4GB. Apparently it's easy enough to convert it to NTFS although I haven't done it so can't really comment (think I got this right, trying to remember off the top of my head).

Last edited:

JSG10

Expert
Yes thats correct Flucky.

And converting to NTFS is extremely easy and you can do it without losing any data :) Unforunately thats not the case the other way round.

To convert from FAT21 to NTFS just goto the cmd prompt and type:

convert "drive letter": /fs:ntfs Replace "drive letter" with whatever drive you're wanting to convert, eg: convert c:/fs:ntfs

Type whatever volume label you want and away you go :) From my experience it does it fairly quickly. If you're wanted to convert the OS boot drive it'll tell you it can't and will do it on reboot :)