Portable HDD

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Hi all,

I am looking to get a portable HDD. The norm seems to be 500GB (although 1TB wouldnt be out of the question).

I wouldnt say budget is an issue, as all of them seem pretty much in the same ballpark.

Has anyone had any experience with them or any suggestions of a reliable selection?

I know all products have mixed reviews, so any personal experience would be really helpful.

Cheers

DED

Nemesis

I dont have a particular suggestion but as you said all HDDs fail sometime hence the mixed reviews... Just make sure you buy it from a company with a warranty or something

My brother has an external drive that hes had a while (With no hiccups) Ill ask him what model it is for you :)

Nemesis

Oh and btw cant vouch for them but PCS supply some External HDDs :

WD 1TB My Book Essential USB 3.0 (£68)
and
WD 2TB My Book Essential USB 3.0 (£99)

Which would be covered under their warranty so itd be worth your while checking out some reviews

pez

I'vegot a WD 500gig one and a Terra byte Buffalo.

Generally, I've ready the Buffalos are very dependable....hence I have all my shows and movies stores on it :D About 800gig and counting.

JSG10

Expert
Bought THIS a few months ago for my mum and its really good. No problems with. Nice little size and 500Gb. You can get bigger ones. I've got a 1TB WD external HD which I think is actually a caviar green in external housing :) Got given that for free by an ex which was nice! ;)
I suggest just looking around, see which ones have got good reviews and go for it. Make sure you do look around though, theres some very competitive prices out there ;)

Teaz

Godlike
if you mean by portable as in slim then i recommend GoFlex which are large in size aswel. I own a Slim portable one which is 80GB for my usage. unless the bulky portable ones which i think are not really "portable"?

Best bet is eBay most of the times..

Last edited:

shades

Silver Level Poster
I did a fair bit of research before making a similar decision and I saw a lot of negative reviews of the Western Digital external drives (maybe why PC World were selling them so cheaply at the time).

I'd second the Seagate GoFlex suggestion. I've got a 500GB one. They really are very portable. Powered by USB, slim, and will fit in a bag/coat pocket. Been very pleased with mine. Also quite handily you can change the supplied adapter for a USB 3.0, firewire or eSATA type if you so which.

Last edited:

JSG10

Expert
Seagate do great drives but don't knock WD either.
All of my external drives are WD and I've not had a problem with any of them :) Like any component by any company, they can go wrong and break and you'll always hear about the negative experiences over the positive.

shades

Silver Level Poster
Seagate do great drives but don't knock WD either.
All of my external drives are WD and I've not had a problem with any of them :) Like any component by any company, they can go wrong and break and you'll always hear about the negative experiences over the positive.

I'm sure that's true. These were Amazon reviews which are generally pretty balanced, however there were a larger than usual number of low scoring reviews mentioning issues regarding connection with the WD drives. But this was a few months ago and the drives in question were on sale at PC World so my guess is they were phasing them out and have no doubt addressed the issue now.

Western Digital are generally excellent. I wouldn't have a WD drive in my machine if I didn't think they were. Apologies if any offence was caused by my previous post.

Fear

Prolific Poster
I'm sure that's true. These were Amazon reviews which are generally pretty balanced, however there were a larger than usual number of low scoring reviews mentioning issues regarding connection with the WD drives. But this was a few months ago and the drives in question were on sale at PC World so my guess is they were phasing them out and have no doubt addressed the issue now.

Western Digital are generally excellent. I wouldn't have a WD drive in my machine if I didn't think they were. Apologies if any offence was caused by my previous post.

Yeah when i was looking for an external HDD on amazon a while back i read them reviews a lot were complaining about the supplied usb cable if i remember correctly anyway whatever it was they changed it (sure it was usb cable) so i got a WD 1TB ext.HDD and am happy with it ;)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Cheers for the advice and all the feedback guys.

After looking a number of options, I ordered this today.

Things will always be hit and miss, but I read some reviews other than on Amazon, and didnt find too many mahoosively negative ones :D

Might post back when I get ma new PC and this working, just for reference :)

DED

Teaz

Godlike
sleek indeed! not to mention that is certainly quite the bargain for 500gb slim drive. Lets hope its slim as a 2.5 SSD :D

Pete

Bright Spark
Oh and btw cant vouch for them but PCS supply some External HDDs :

WD 1TB My Book Essential USB 3.0 (£68)
and
WD 2TB My Book Essential USB 3.0 (£99)

Which would be covered under their warranty so itd be worth your while checking out some reviews

Is there a page on the website where PCS offer accessories like this ?

Gorman

Author Level
Is there a page on the website where PCS offer accessories like this ?

They are available during the inital configuration of the machine or like all components they can be bought after sales by calling us on 0844 499 4000

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
like all components they can be bought after sales by calling us on 0844 499 4000

Any plan on implementing that through the website, i like to browse through random components to put in my pc, and rather buy from somewhere i can trust like you guys x

pez

I believe that you can only purchase additional components as an after sales service. PCS Do not want to have people purely buying little bits here and there. For example, I can buy ram here, as I've bought a laptop.....someone who hasn't cant. :)

Could be wrong, but that's how I read it?